Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High School Woods Course: Woods 101--TOPICS??

High School Woods Course: Woods 101--TOPICS??

Hi All,

Interested in the variety of expertise here on the creek.

I'm a new woodshop teacher, just graduated college to be a shop teacher (yes, that's still around. Surprising I know.)

I am teaching 2 basic woods courses, and 2 advanced woods courses. I have an opportunity to prepare the basic woods students for higher level wood working.
    My inventory currently includes: an 8" planer, 2 12" bandsaws, 2 10" disc sanders, a 10" tilting arbor saw with dado blade setup, a Powermatic 66 10" table saw, small drill press, radial arm saw, very limited hand tools and power tools (sorry neanderthals), two routers+tables, and a shaper.

My question to the forum is: what, in your experience, do you see necessary in an intro-level woods course? (outside of basic tool safety...that's the first priority and learning topic)

Additionally, what do you see as an absolutely necessary tool for students to be exposed to in basic woods? or what tool is necessary in our shop?

Thank you for helping the future woodworker,

Mr. Frisbie

I think today, one of the secrets to keeping the students involved will be short interesting projects at first. If they can master making several easy projects that add value to their life or someone in their families, they might get hooked. An example would be a simple cell phone holder/charger. Maybe a stand for an iPad. Or a picture frame to hold an iPad

If you have a lathe, maybe a simple base to hold a favorite baseball, etc...

If it's something simple they can make for themselves and take home, other family members might ask for one too and get the student wanting to do more.

I would think sessions on wood movement would be critical. 'Understanding wood'. Growth/grain characteristics. Moisture effects. Structural considerations. Glue joint options. Comparison to alternative materials.

Then different joinery types, why and where the various joinery are appropriate.

These are all under the heading of 'technical design' aspects.

More advanced classes I would focus on 'design' (architectural design). I found that my early days were spent trying to get something to hold together and not fall apart. Once that was tackled, more time is spent on the design/look/style that I am wanting to achieve.
    Last edited by Carl Beckett; 02-15-2019 at 8:25 AM.

First thing I would do is invest in a SawStop TS. Now I'm not a proponent of SS mind you, but with the liability issue and peoples propensity to sue these days that would be my first move. I do like thd PM 66 saw though. If it was advanced woodworkers I would say keep the PM, but you are talking about beginners who quite possible have never even seen a saw. Good luck, I am really glad that there is still some wood shop classes around. In the outside world there are very few individuals who know how to work on anything anymore. It 's a shame.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I think you have all the tools you need for basic, but of course there is always room to improve.
    In our basic woodworking course the students build three projects
    1. a cutting board (stock preparation, gluing and clamping)
    2. a small 6"x10" mitered corner box ( resawing, mitering, dado and routing)
    3. Craftsman style plant stand (bunches of mortise and tenon joints)
    Best wishes in your new journey
    Chuck

6. My sophomore year the high school was being renovated and the wood shop was closed for months. My shop teacher filled the time by focusing on drafting techniques (drawing and interpreting plans ect) at the time it felt like busy work and in hindsight it mostly was but I actually use those techniques far more now that I would have thought at the time. I would also echo the earlier comments about working on multiple small projects. The flow of my high school shop was to work on one larger project a semester and while I enjoyed that, I think it discouraged a lot of the less-serious, or beginner students.

I love that shop is still a thing and I wish there was more of it. Schools should focus less on the Pythagorean Theorem and more on teaching kids how to make things!

Isaac, what’s your level of experience?

For the kids, keep it simple and keep them involved with small projects as others have mentioned. I think the details like Carl pointed are necessary and would be good questions on an exam, but do it while keeping their interest. Maybe glue up some demonstrations without considering wood movement and they can see what happens over time.

First and foremost always needs to be safety, I can’t stress that enough.

We made a little drawer about 6x8". simple butt joints but grooved for a masonite bottom. Can be used as a pencil tray or give to Mom/girlfriend to hold jewelry. Kids make enough and you build a cabinet to hold them for screws etc in the shop. In my shop wood was free for little projects like that. But if you wanted to take it home you had to pay for the wood. Sanding blocks with sheet cork glued to bottom.
    Bill D.

For a 101 class I would not let any of them ever touch a switch. Essentials are SAFETY! Then understanding wood grain; which would be learned with hand planes, chisels, spokeshaves and splitting tools. Then layout and measuring tools, then sanding, then finishing. A coping saw and egg beater drill will let them make their first project. With your limited experience, I would schedule a lineup of local professionals and ask them to demonstrate. At 200 level they can start using power equipment. Since you don't have a jointer, it's nearly impossible for them to prepare good flat stock. Get some scroll saws, a saw that about the safest power saw there is. I would think an essential machine for today's youth would be a CNC router. If you want to spark a kid today, you better have a robot somewhere in that shop! The most important lessons you have to teach is not how to make something. Your job is to safely instill confidence and light a spark in their soul to enjoy craft and the process of the craft. Remember, it's the journey, not the destination that will provide the reward. Post where you live so maybe some members here can come in and demo. My Industrial Arts teacher influenced my entire life. Not a month has gone by in my 49 years since graduating from high school when I didn't make something or draw something (drafting skills were taught as well). The includes my 24 years of being a professional woodworker, 16 years as a draftsman and mechanical designer, and retirement.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 02-15-2019 at 10:06 AM.

Matt,

Thanks for the note. I'm teaching 9-12th with possibly taking on a middle school period of 8th grade!

Thanks for the note!!

My experience is woodworking as a hobby, college courses, and high school shop.

I agree with the projects Chuck suggested. I would consider getting a thickness planer. One of the first lessons has to be stock prep...flat and square and co-planer on all sides. I understand power tools are a big part of shop class, but I hate to think kids then believe they need $thousands in tools to enjoy woodworking. I would at least introduce them to what the hand tool alternatives are whenever possible.

Blog Entries
    The 101 level should be the basics. Safety, planning, material selection, joints, and basic finishing to includes types of finishes and their uses. Hand tools should be the predominate tools, with introductions to power tools later after basic skills are achieved.

The 202 level should advance from the sum of the 101 level to more advanced and complicated projects, joints, finishing techniques. At this level power tools should be introduced and used only once the student fully understands the safety precautions, including a written test. Any safety violation should be addressed by not having that tool available for a period of time to that student and a retaking of the safety test before it is restored. Any injury even minor ones needs to be reviewed and discussed with the entire class to develop procedures to avoid future incidents.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have been a hobbyist woodworker for decades and an educator for about the same length of time: high school teacher, principal and curriculum developer.

Here is a link to British Columbia’s grade 10 woodworking curriculum. From there you can navigate to other practical subjects and grade levels. https://curriculum.gov.bc.ca/curricu...st/10/woodwork

Usually the jurisdiction in which you are working will povide similar documents. And generally they are organized in a similar manner: from the “biggest” ideas down to practical suggestions. Something you might ponder up front is how you will evaluate student work — that will have a great impact on what they do.

We have put Sawstop saws in all high school shops. They won’t prevent kickback accidents, but everyone is a little more comfortable with them.

There seems to always be a trade-off between substanial learning and fun projects. So I am sure you will enjoy deciding what it is you really want to teach. For me the key outcome of woodworking has been pride in workmanship.

A great place to start — which you have probably already done — is to contact a few local woodworking teachers to get project ideas. Everyone remembers those first fiew years as challenging, and just about everyone will be pleased to give you ideas and advice.
    Life is too short for dull sandpaper.