Thread: 3 inch oak not completly dried

3 inch oak not completly dried

Hi,
    Please advice: I have ordered some 3m long 2 inch slabs to be dried together with some 3inch slabs. The 2 inch slabs came out dry, but after cutting the 3 inch ones it seems they havn't dried completely . Those will be stored in air conditioned store now. Could you tell me what will happen if I work on those slabs now and seal it when finished with wax oil? And how much it might take indoor for it to dry completely?

Thank you!

Oak is tough. I have seen people use 5/4 oak at very near green state and it did just fine. My luck was never that good. Thick {2" or better} oak slabs that are not dried much will always guaranteed move somehow. I have also seen oak, all sawed from the same tree, same size and given the same drying time be used successfully with most of it not moving or warp/crack/cup, but some of it did in fact move, twist and warp. As far as "what it's going to do??" that is a toss up and anyone's guess. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I will say that when "dried" {but not dead perfect completely dry} the thicker slabs I have worked with tended to stay straight and true.
    If you had someone dry this wood for you or you purchased it as dried lumber cant you take it back for more kiln time, or was it not kiln dried???

It is not practical to dry 12/4 oak from green. 8/4 typically would require a 3.5 month kiln run, so for that reason it is usually air dried for 2 years prior to kiln drying.

To determine movement, please post information about the MC% taken at the core of the 12/4 oak.

For these reasons, we condition all our oaks and most hardwoods that are 2" or thicker by air drying to up to 12 months. During this air drying stage you are removing the free water or the moisture that is easily released. We can usually get our live edge slabs in the 20-30% range air drying. At 30%, it usually takes us another 60-75 days to get it down to 8%.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-17-2019 at 4:43 PM. Reason: TOS Violation link to his business or employer.
    Devin Ginther
    Dripping Springs, TX 78620
    Refined Elements LLC, Owner
    TX Urban Sawmill LLC, Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Siebert View Post
    Oak is tough. I have seen people use 5/4 oak at very near green state and it did just fine. My luck was never that good. Thick {2" or better} oak slabs that are not dried much will always guaranteed move somehow. I have also seen oak, all sawed from the same tree, same size and given the same drying time be used successfully with most of it not moving or warp/crack/cup, but some of it did in fact move, twist and warp. As far as "what it's going to do??" that is a toss up and anyone's guess. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I will say that when "dried" {but not dead perfect completely dry} the thicker slabs I have worked with tended to stay straight and true.
    If you had someone dry this wood for you or you purchased it as dried lumber cant you take it back for more kiln time, or was it not kiln dried???
    Hi, thank you for your reply. The wood was kiln dried. Prior to that I was told it was seasoned for 2 years but hard to say how true is that. All the slabs were already moved and I don't really have an option to dry it more. I would like to work on it. It would be fixed to a sturdy base with slotted holes. I'm wondering mostly what effect on the wood the moisture will have once its finished with oil wax. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Devin Ginther View Post
    For these reasons, we condition all our oaks and most hardwoods that are 2" or thicker by air drying to up to 12 months. During this air drying stage you are removing the free water or the moisture that is easily released. We can usually get our live edge slabs in the 20-30% range air drying. At 30%, it usually takes us another 60-75 days to get it down to 8%.
    I was told that the wood was seasoned for 2 years. It was kiln dried for one month. The 2 inch slabs seem to be dried properly although if you say it should be over 60 days probably it didn't get to 8%. Thank you

2" wood takes 2.5 longer to dry than 1" wood. 3" wood will take considerably longer to dry than 2" wood.