Thread: Xmas Blanket Chest Project

Xmas Blanket Chest Project

I built a blanket chest for my wife for Christmas but forgot to take any "finished" photos before moving it up to the house from the shop. I took some photos of it in the darkish bedroom today and wanted to post some photos I took as I went along. Speaking of project photos, I do apologize for my photos because I realized that my project photos suck in comparison to many of the great phots I have been used to seeing here in SMC. The chest is approximately 48" long by 16" deep (wide) by 18" tall. It is of post/frame (3/4") and panel (1/4") construction with a breadboard-ended top and 1/2" T&G floor boards. All lower stretchers are curved. The chest is finished with five coats of Super Blonde shellac and I used a pair of Brusso stop hinges to eliminate the need for some type of a holdback.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David

David,

Beautiful design and work.

Is that one of Steve's planes?

BTQ, I love your saw bench .

ken

Thanks Ken. Yes, that is one of Steve's 22" try planes and it works very well. This thing shoots a straight peel straight out of the top of the chute like a conveyor belt going full steam. It just so happens that the roll-around shop heater with a scrap piece laid over the top is just right to hold up the other end when crosscutting at the bench. The bench is too high for lots of cutting, but OK for the occasional cut.
    David

Nice work on the blanket chest. I enjoyed the shop visit through the photos. Looks like a great place to make beautiful pieces like the chest. Everything is so nice... except that gnarly old chunk of wax.

Thanks for the kind words Bill. The photos do not do the chest any favors, but the joinery did come out well and the finish truly made it shine. Pecan is hard wood with grain switching as a matter of course and it challenges me moreso than some of the typically used furniture wood. The gnarly ball of wax has been with me 20 years +, and gets used for plane soles chisel ends and BS blades, probably other uses as well.
    David