Thread: Has anyone ever seen this type of dust collector?

Has anyone ever seen this type of dust collector?

I bought this dust collector from a woodworking shop as part of a package deal over a decade ago. It says it was manufactured by Rayco's Mach. Mfg Los Angeles, it's connected to a 2hp Baldor motor. I can't find anything on the web about it. I never connected it to my woodworking machines and now that I'm retired, I'd like to get it going. I realize that this dust collector will not protect me against the fine dust that is harmful to my health. I wear a Trend Air Shield Pro whenever I am cutting wood.
    There are 2 ports on the side of the impeller housing. The top one is intake the bottom one is an outflow. The original owner told me that heavy pieces would exit out of the bottom port while the fines would exit out of the impeller exhaust.
    The ports are all 5 1/2" wide. I'm not sure what I will have to do to connect it to my ducting which I have not purchased yet. Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.
    Feel free to tell me this is a waste of time and just toss the thing.
    20190214_111226.jpg20190214_111238.jpg

Just looks like a blower housing. Im sure that outlet port was once connected to a bag filter. Ive seen similar outfits on top of 55 gallon drums with a bag filter at industrial auctions. This would be a decent candidate for turning into one of those franken-collectors that guys do with a wynn cannister filter after a thien baffle or super dusy deputy cyclone. Depending on your shop, this could also be exhausted directly outside. I would still want some type of pre-separator like a baffle or cyclone prior to exhausting outside. Depending on the impeller diameter, i bet that guy moves 600-700cfm, and would be suitable to keeping your shop tidy from jointing/planing lumber. It will do less well with other tools that dont create large fluffy chips, but it sounds like you want something to keep your shop clean and not so much a safety concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Just looks like a blower housing. Im sure that outlet port was once connected to a bag filter. Ive seen similar outfits on top of 55 gallon drums with a bag filter at industrial auctions. This would be a decent candidate for turning into one of those franken-collectors that guys do with a wynn cannister filter after a thien baffle or super dusy deputy cyclone. Depending on your shop, this could also be exhausted directly outside. I would still want some type of pre-separator like a baffle or cyclone prior to exhausting outside. Depending on the impeller diameter, i bet that guy moves 600-700cfm, and would be suitable to keeping your shop tidy from jointing/planing lumber. It will do less well with other tools that dont create large fluffy chips, but it sounds like you want something to keep your shop clean and not so much a safety concern.
    Patrick, thanks for the response. Yes, it came with a felt type fabric chute that connects for the exhaust and it attaches to a 55 gallon heavy cardboard drum. I left that out of the picture. Where would I attach the super dust deputy?

Pull the wye off the intake and get/make a single 6" pipe entry to the impeller. It will be more efficient.

Search super dust deputy, should be many pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    Pull the wye off the intake and get/make a single 6" pipe entry to the impeller. It will be more efficient.
    Peter, that is such a great idea. I feel like an idiot for not having thought of it. Do you have any suggestions where I could purchase the pipe entry?

If you are using PVC maybe the ones below. I searched 6" PVC flange and there were lots. Might have to open them up a touch or pack the pipes attaching and maybe drill new mounting holes. Not sure where to get metal. If the old one is cast aluminium you could cut the flange off and have a piece of aluminium sheet cut, rolled and welded on.

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/it...x?itemid=26247

Flange and gasket;
    https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/85...vc-flange.html
    https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/15...dm-gasket.html

Looks similar to my Murphy Rogers which just sits, inlet down, flat on top of my cyclone.
    Bill

https://wynnenv.com/murphy-rodgers/

https://www.donaldson.com/en-us/indu...ctors/cyclone/
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 02-15-2019 at 3:02 PM.