Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hit a Cow

Your rental car company does not cover accidents for whales.
    I've had deer leave hoof prints on the hood of my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I had a deer try to jump over the hood of my Explorer. It took out the side window and mirror and the windshield. When it was repaired there was no body work other than replacing the mirror and glass.
    Hate upside down picture breaks my neck

car2.jpg
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I've had several close encounters with Moose and Deer on my motorcycle , so far I've been lucky and somehow managed to avoid a collision , knock on wood
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I didn't realize that it was up side down when I posted it. it showed as the right way up.

My grandfather was riding his motorcycle at night, in heavy fog, when he hit a herd of sheep on the road. This was in the days of leather helmets. He went over the handlebars and landed on top of the herd. No broken bones. So he was very lucky.
    Bil lD.

Never came close to hitting a large animal, and hope I never do. But decades ago, I was driving down a divided highway and a motor home suddenly came down the embankment crossed the on coming lanes, across the median strip and crossed my path and ended up in the ditch about 20 feet off the road. I saw it coming and managed to slow down to a stop and avoid a collision. We were several miles from the closest intersection. I pulled over and jumped out to see if who ever was in the motor home was injured or needed assistance. The doors were unlocked and no one was inside. the engine was not even warm. I waited for police to arrive and told them what I saw.. Never did hear what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    Never came close to hitting a large animal, and hope I never do. But decades ago, I was driving down a divided highway and a motor home suddenly came down the embankment crossed the on coming lanes, across the median strip and crossed my path and ended up in the ditch about 20 feet off the road. I saw it coming and managed to slow down to a stop and avoid a collision. We were several miles from the closest intersection. I pulled over and jumped out to see if who ever was in the motor home was injured or needed assistance. The doors were unlocked and no one was inside. the engine was not even warm. I waited for police to arrive and told them what I saw.. Never did hear what happened.
    I'm imagining the owner's face as he realizes he left it in neutral and it rolls away from him down that hill..... (I saw that happen in a parking lot with a brand new car. So it does happen.)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    Former rock cellist Mike Edwards was killed in England a decade or so ago when a round hay bale rolled down a hillside, picked up enough speed to become airborne when it hit the roadside verge, and landed square on his van as he drove down a country road.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I had a deer try to jump over the hood of my Explorer. It took out the side window and mirror and the windshield. When it was repaired there was no body work other than replacing the mirror and glass.
    Man! Hit you so hard that it turned your explorer over, and the vehicle next to it as well!

Understanding why this thread went off track, and enjoying it, I am still in search of imagination every time I step into the shop.

Years ago I was a partner in a transportation company. We had drivers do 200 - 300 mile daily trips around Montana and Wyoming. They drove anything from small cars like a Jetta to full size cargo vans. I always told them to never swerve when they encountered deer, rabbits, dogs, cats, skunks, etc. Swerving just put them in more danger from turning a small animal strike into a bad rollover. However, they were also told to swerve for moose, elk, bear, horses and cattle. Never had to worry about kangaroos.

Some of the worst animal strikes were large birds. I saw the aftermath of an owl going through a windshield as a kid. Simply ruined the driver's day. He worked for my father and was OK, but the vehicle was pretty much toast. On the plus side, my dad added some interesting feathers to his fly tying kit.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck