Thread: Rikon 17" Drill Press- any opinions or recommendations for similar size?

Blog Entries

Rikon 17" Drill Press- any opinions or recommendations for similar size?

Good day all:

*I did search the archives before posting, and didn't find much specific to the Rikon 17" Sorry if asked before.

I am heading to the states to pick up some furniture and drive it down to FL to ship out. I'm stopping by Highland Woodworking to pick up a Rikon bandsaw, and I am also looking for a drill press. The Rikon 17" is sure a good price point, and seems quality enough. I really don't use a drill press a whole lot, but I would like to use the Delta hollow chisel mortiser that I already own. So- any Rikon owners want to chime in? Do you like it? Does it fit a Delta hollow chisel mortiser?

Anyone with another brand of 17" drill press want to comment? I mainly want a longer throw than my bench-top press, less slop, and ability to use a hollow chisel mortiser. I would also really like a light and a laser, but it's not a must. The Rikon doesn't have that, but the price is nice.

Look at the Jet, it may be a bit more but it is a really good drill press.

Are you interested in the variable speed 17" Rikon or the regular one? I recently got the 12" variable speed Rikon and am happy with it. Started a recent thread about it, but overall it seems to be very solid.

Mine has the laser crosshairs thing, which I don't think is all that great. Tricky to adjust, then you're presented with the junction of two lines that are each about 1/16" wide. Not so much "precision" as "pretty close". Wouldn't worry about having it or not.

My manual lists the Rikon chisel mortiser as an option, so I'm guessing the 17" model would accept it, too. I've never used a chisel mortiser, so can't say how either model would work with one.

Blog Entries
    Hi, Nick. Thanks for the info. I want the variable speed. Actually, I didn't know there was a non-variable one. I use a lot of big forstner bits.

Found a Delta in the top of my range that seems to have good reviews. Not sure if I can find one in store or not.

Can't comment on the Delta, but I've been pleased with the Rikon. Also own a 14" Rikon bandsaw, and have been overall pleased with the brand. Good luck with whatever you choose.

I've had the Jet JDP-17 for a few years and am pretty satisfied with it, the large table is great for woodworking. Plus it has a light & laser. I've never used a hollow chisel mortiser on it, though.

I have the Jet. The table was what sold me. Love the t-slots. Easy to add a fence and hold downs without building a whole table for it. It has light and laser. Laser isn't all that. A light of some sore is a must.

I don't know about that handle on the Rikon. Sometimes when working close to the piece with short bits, I have to remove one of the handles on my Jet so that it does not hit the fence and stop travel. That 3-arm thing looks cute, but limits flexibility in such cases.

Don't know about the drill press (I use a couple of Deltas) but I sure wish I could get to Atlanta and run into you in Highland! Would make my day. Month.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Good day all:

*I did search the archives before posting, and didn't find much specific to the Rikon 17" Sorry if asked before.

I am heading to the states to pick up some furniture and drive it down to FL to ship out. I'm stopping by Highland Woodworking to pick up a Rikon bandsaw, and I am also looking for a drill press. The Rikon 17" is sure a good price point, and seems quality enough. I really don't use a drill press a whole lot, but I would like to use the Delta hollow chisel mortiser that I already own. So- any Rikon owners want to chime in? Do you like it? Does it fit a Delta hollow chisel mortiser?

Anyone with another brand of 17" drill press want to comment? I mainly want a longer throw than my bench-top press, less slop, and ability to use a hollow chisel mortiser. I would also really like a light and a laser, but it's not a must. The Rikon doesn't have that, but the price is nice.

I think there might be some confusion. Both of the 17" Rikons have "variable" speeds. The difference is that the less expensive one changes speeds like most older presses, by moving a belt to different positions on pulleys.

The more expensive (newer) one uses a lever on the left side to continuously speed up or slow down within a given range, with the RPMs shown on a digital readout on the front. There are two ranges, from 200 - 700 and from 600 - 2300. To change from one "range" to the other you have to open the top and manually move a belt from one pulley to the other, like older presses.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Nick for the clarification. After a lot of research, I really like the Rikon Variable Speed 17" drill press. Wow- it has a 1.5 hp motor. I'm wondering if somehow the speed control requires a higher HP motor due to not having the same reduction drive as a pulley system.

The Delta 18" is also an awesome machine. I am leaning towards the Rikon due to the ease of changing speeds.

Malcolm, not sure if the speed control mechanism requires more power, but you could be right. My short review of the 12" version is here, in case you missed it:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....s-Short-Review

It includes a short video of the speed control mechanism in action, which I'm guessing works like the 17" model.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Malcolm, not sure if the speed control mechanism requires more power, but you could be right. My short review of the 12" version is here, in case you missed it:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....s-Short-Review

It includes a short video of the speed control mechanism in action, which I'm guessing works like the 17" model.

Thanks, Nick. Does that not wear out belts quickly?

I can't be sure, I've only had it for about a month.

The speed changes, apparently, by essentially changing the diameter of the pulley. That process only lasts for the time that you're moving the lever, a few seconds, then the pulley acts like any other pulley. At least, that's how it seems to me. In any case, it's guaranteed for 5 years. I guess I might find out, although I really don't put many miles on drill presses.