Thread: Changing the motor on a Oneida dust collector?

Changing the motor on a Oneida dust collector?

Due to my stupidity I believe the PO on my 5hp DC I was told it was 240v 1ph it turns out its 575v3ph I wasn't able to check as the motor was way in the back of his garage and he so kindly loaded my trailer with the machine and all the ductwork while my wife and I visited my daughter in another city.

I have found a 240v motor with the same frame at a good price I just need to know how hard is it to swap the motors has anyone done it and do you have any tips? anything to be aware of?

Going back to kicking myself.

On my super dust gorilla the motor is attached by its end to a mounting plate that rests atop the cyclone barrel. Detaching the motor involves removing that assembly (80+ lbs) and taking the impeller off the motor shaft which may require some heat to break loose the grub screws. At that point the bolts holding the plate and motor together are exposed.

You need a motor with the same size shaft as existing to match the impeller bore.

You might consider reaching out to Oneida for guidance to get the exact specifications you need for a replacement motor...and I suspect Kevin is correct that you have a bit of work to do. Of course, if you haven't installed the unit, it's going to be a lot easier since you can do it on the ground with the unit disassembled.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    As long as you've got at least a foot or so clearance above the motor it shouldn't be too bad. Just remove the handful of bolts that hold the plate to the blower housing & lift the motor/impeller assembly off & then you can remove the impeller & change out the motor. It'll take 2 to lift the motor off.

Do not bend the fan when pulling it off. I rigged a pulley and rope from the rafters to hoist mine up.
    I always try to add a male and female plug to the motor supply line. This way you get it up into position then plug it in. Easier then trying to make the connections up on a ladder. Also allows me to cut the cord with garden loppers for the first removal. I make sure to cut it as close to the motor as possible then I replace the motor cord on the ground and install the male plug on that cord.
    Bill D.

Good morning all
    I removed the motor and fan, no real issues there. I was actually working from above as my shop is two story and the blower is downstairs with the motor between the joist and sticks up through the upstairs floor.
    I managed to get the fan off the motor without breaking or bending it I applied a liberal amount of penetrating fluid and a little bit of persuasion.
    I am picking up a new motor hopefully today and have a new magnetic starter on order.
    How hard is it to hook two push button switches to the starter I would be great to have one upstairs and one down.
    thank youIMG_2059[2801].JPG

Got the new motor installed without any issues. Just waiting on the new switch.

Neat. I will have to remember this if I ever need to replace my motor or fan. I can cut a hole in my attic space and get at the motor.

Hi, it’s not hard to add more start/stop switches.

Stop buttons are normally closed, and are wired in series, start buttons are normally open and are wired in parallel.

Regards, Rod