Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It’s hip to be square: combination or double

I decided on Sterling 4” double square with the dovetail rule. I’ll see how I like that and then probably get a 6” once I decide.

I had a set of machinist squares and a 12" Starrett Combo. A thread here convinced me to try a small double square. Fell in love - very handy and usually my go to square. Now I have 3 of them, in 4" and 6". I prefer the PEC over the iGaging because of the smoother feel while sliding the blade. Otherwise there's no discernable difference.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    I decided on Sterling 4” double square with the dovetail rule. I’ll see how I like that and then probably get a 6” once I decide.
    Bet you'll love it. That's a nice tool.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I'm sort of in Mike Henderson's ballpark. I have Starrett 3" and 6" Double Square. Starrett 6", 12" and the 24" Combo Squares. Starrett 1-1/2", 4-1/2", 6", and 12" machinist squares and a Mitutoyo 6" machinist square and a (c. 1872) Darling, Brown & Sharpe 4-1/2" machinist square. They all get used when appropriate. I think I have a sickness for these things.

I also want to make some wooden try squares in future. I’m planning on trying the one CS does based on the squares Seaton Chest.