Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New Project, a "Chester Drawers"

Too bleeding early in the Marnin....waiting on the Mountain Dew to work....when the second eyeball wakes up, I might see about 1st Breakfast? Then maybe head for the shop?

I doubt IF I am the first inventor of that handle Jig.....Most handles I install are simple, one bolt knobs...two diagonals to find the centers sort of thing. Screws, but no glue in the jig....need the screws back once the drawers are done....can always build the next to match the handle style...

Stay tuned..

Quitting time was 4 pm, today...some of the high points...
    dry fit.JPG
    A little more practice..and these are looking better...
    coves ran.JPG
    Found a use for the tablesaw...all three fronts have a cove milled..
    dado clean up.JPG
    dado/rebate..needed cleaned up, to remove the saw marks..
    back fitted.JPG
    Got the backs fitted for all three drawer...did not have quite enough plywood left...only enough for one drawer...
    Drawer 3 done.JPG
    So, drawer # 3 has glued up,,, and stashed. may add the handles after supper. Need to buy a 1/4' x 24" x 48" plywood panel, tomorrow, to complete the other two drawers..
    getting chippy.JPG
    had to borrow the house broom..was getting a bit deep down here..

Stay tuned...

Well, drove to the south end of town, Lowes was still open. Picked a plywood panel, a box of screws, and a quart of stain....and almost got a whitetail deer on the way back home...

Things in the shop can wait until tomorrow..too tired and sore right now...

Stay tuned...

Drawer #3 has been fitted to it's opening....back of drawer was a hair too wide...fixed that...plywood has been cut to size...last two backs are also shortened to match #3..
    almost done.JPG
    Letting the glue cure...bottom drawer was also glued up..
    in the clamps.JPG
    I even installed a few handles....ran into a problem with the bolts they sent with the handles..
    bad bolt.JPG
    had to scrounge to replace the one that did NOT have any threads....then found another "bolt" without a head,,but, it did have threads...
    So, once the glue has had a chance to dry...I can sand things smooth, and see about one lousy bolt...then a coat of "Puritan Pine" stain....

stay tuned...

Finally..clamps came off, found a bolt for the handle....sanded the drawer fronts, installed the handles. Even found a couple brushes for the stain.. And cleared the top of the Chester Drawers

So...how about a PIP, before the stain goes on ( will post again, when the finish is on...)
    PIP 1.JPG
    front view..
    PIP 2.JPG
    a view at the corner....and..
    PIP, drawer details.JPG
    Details....someday, I might get the hang of doing these dovetails....maybe?

Thanks for following along, even if I was moving at the speed of smell...
    Stay tuned...

Have picked a couple better brushes up, this morning....intend to test the stain on the scrap pine first....

Olden Days, this was the stain used...by the gallon....case of "paint" the project in a heavy coat, let it dry overnight, add a coat of poly....

Will see how things go, this time around.

Nice going Steven. Nice looking, good solid construction. Panel sides I really like. They solve a lot of problems that solid panels can creat and a treat for the eyes as well. I hope you can push through the health problems. Your builds are always fun to watch.
    Jim

Steven,

Good job! +1 on what James said.

Stew

having issues with the stain....seems some of the plywood panels are stain sponges...add a coat, come back in 10 minutes,,,stain is gone? in between coats 4 and 5, a wash of poly was added, and a drizzle of Walnut stain was added to the Puritan Pine stain...Seems one sheet of the Luann Plywood was this way...as the back of the case was not taking any stain, either...

Anyhow...may have finally cured the problem...I hope..
    finish is on 1.JPG
    And added a coat of clear gloss poly to the entire mess..
    finish is on 2.JPG
    Sides? Left side had 3 of those panels..
    finish is on 3.JPG
    2nd one down was the worst, then the 4th and 5th...right side..
    finish is on 5.JPG
    Top one, and the 3rd one down...
    waiting on the varnish to dry...
    And see IF and coat will be needed...otherwise, it is heading upstairs to the bedroom, to replace a 30yr old, 4 drawer I made from leftover scraps...has more stuff on top than inside, and the drawers are full...we'll see how it goes...

Posted as a Project. Will take a week or two off...to rest up...maybe?

Thanks for following along