Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Project, a "Chester Drawers"

Nice progress Steven. Enjoying all the pictures. Looking good.

Did you find the ring? Didn’t see an update.

Ring was indeed found...the next morning.
    Well...this will take more than a single post...a lot got done today, more than what I planned to do on a Monday....
    Got the top panel out of the clamps...and cleared off the bench..
    clear the bench.JPG
    So I could lay the panel down, scrape off the beads of dried glue, and decide which face looked the best.. I also drilled four slotted holes. Corner blocks needed the slots, to allow the top to move....somehow, the case wound up on the top panel...
    top installed.JPG
    Not a whole lot of room...4 screws were installed, then this things was set down onto the floor....one end was squared up...second end was measued to match, and squared up
    trim line.JPG
    The back corners were given a dime-sized round over....the front corners were a little bigger..
    Details, curve and coved.JPG
    Then a cove was run all the way around the top. Top was sanded flat, almost smooth, for now. Could have stopped for the day, but..
    drawer blank.JPG
    That 1 x 6 x 8' plank followed me downstairs....and, it was better looking than the other 1 x 6 I have...found two decent looking sections, about 25" or so long..
    2 drawer fronts.JPG
    Pick of the litter? Got out a couple handles, to see how they would look..
    handles.JPG
    Router was still handy..
    drawer fro0nt cove.JPG
    Best face on each got a cove detail...
    stay tuned...going from Powertool Land to the Realm of Handtools...

hand tools? Well, I need a groove for the bottom panels to sit in...
    drawer bottom groove.JPG
    Can't get to the router table, at the moment....I guess this will just have to do..
    plough plane.JPG
    Back then, I didn't have these fancy planes...used a 2 blade dado set up...so, now I have the faces done, and the grooves..
    2 fronts,grooved, coved.JPG
    Plan calls for 3/4 Overlay drawers...means I need a rebate on the ends...
    end rebate.JPG
    Measure in 1/2", square a line across, then a few strokes with a sharp knife. Backsaw to cut down 3/8". Mallet and chisel to remove the waste...repeat for the other ends...
    I also needed a rebate along the top edges..
    rebate knot.JPG
    And a plane that can cut through a big, old knot...
    top edge rebare.JPG
    Made by Stanley, sold as a Wards master quality No.78...between the planes, the chisel...made a mess on the floor, back was getting sore..
    lots of chips.JPG
    Decided to sweep the mess up, hang the work apron up, and call it a day.....maybe tomorrow I can try to get something done?
    Stay tuned..

Ran around half a day...Doctor visit, Lunch, shopping....LOT of driving around.
    Finally got to the shop...searched for two drawer sides in what was already down there, and avoid these things..
    knotty pine.JPG
    1 x 6 had a pair of these..but there was a 17" long clear section between them. I also found enough good material in the "leftovers" for another 17" board..problem?
    rip two.JPG
    Both were a bit too wide...one rip cut, then a test fit
    two drawer sides.JPG
    But, there wasn't enough left over, to make the back of the drawer...so, hauled the other 1 x 6 x 8' to the shop.
    second 1 x6.JPG
    Goal was to find 2 more sides, and 2 drawer backs...while avoiding stuff like this..junk.
    junk section.JPG
    Handsome, ain't it?
    had to rip all 4 pieces for width...
    parts for 2 drawers.JPG
    Second pair of sides needed a wavy edge smoothed up..
    edges planed.JPG
    Smallest "Jointer" I have...also got the ends of all 4 side piece squared up....
    Set 2 sides and both backs aside, for now...time to get a bit of practice..
    out of practice.JPG
    Because I think I need all I can get. maybe by the time I get all five drawers done, I might get the hang of these...
    Stay tuned..

Because..I did try again...
    little better.JPG
    Looks a little better? Stashed this aside..goal was to get the dovetails done..
    stashed 1.JPG
    Grabbed the front and two sides for the next drawer..and even got one end done...SUPPERTIME!...back was having issues...decided to call it a day..stashed the second drawer..
    2 drawers.JPG
    Swept the floor, hung up the messy shop apron, and trudged back upstairs...maybe tomorrow, IF the back feels better, I might try to get these two drawers done? Moving at the speed of...smell
    Stay tuned

Had the sides done dovetail wise....one side decided to do the splits...had to go out and buy a short, clear, straight 1 x 6 x 4' to replace it..grrrrr.

Anyway, the 3 good sides needed a groove milled for a plywood panel to sit in...
    grooved for a bottom.JPG
    It was one of "them days"...as I tried the old Plough plane, first..
    too wide.JPG
    This isn't going to work. once the grooves were milled, time ti do a dado or three...
    dado for a back.JPG
    back to mark the lines, tablesaw to make the cuts, trying to leave the lines...test fit?
    dado test fit.JPG
    dados needed pilot holes..
    pilot holes, dado.JPG
    Which I then had to flip the board over..
    countersunk pilot holes.JPG
    Counter sink the holes....then cut the back for final length, and cut a plywood panel for the bottom of the drawer..
    Spread some glue around the dovetails, and into the dados..
    glue up started.JPG
    Clamps at the front...pushing against the drawer sides..and
    glued and screwed.JPG
    Screws to attach the back, as I do not rely on just glue here...slide the bottom into place, check for square...a little toe-in is ok...as long as both sides are the same..
    Stay tuned

Bottom gets a 1-1/8" long screws...
    bottom fastened down.JPG
    Then this drawer was stashed away, until the glue cures
    stashe til the glue dries.JPG
    Handles can wait, until the front has been final sanded...
    need to cut the "new" 1 x 6 to size, dovetail it, groove it, dado it..and then..maybe..a second drawer can get done?
    Stay tuned..

Second drawer is completed, and sitting in the case...decided that was enough "fun" for one day...

Maybe tomorrow, I can start up drawer #3? I also picked up a decent 1 x 8 x 6' today, just in case....

Decided to let the back of me settle down for a day, so, I called in. Will need to "gang" the last three drawers up...saves a few set ups. As soon as I can haul 30 feet of 1 x 8 to the shop...

Stay tuned..
    Last edited by steven c newman; 02-28-2019 at 6:31 PM.

Will try for Saturday....need to haul a few things to the shop....may be a cross cutting ( cussing?) day, tomorrow....

Anyone want to drop by, Saturday, and lend a hand?....

Steven,

Would love to drop by and lend a hand, because it will be COLD here, but I am sure much much colder up there. Given that, the "Peak of Ohio" is a little out of the way for us here in Texas, so it is kind of unhandy for me to drop by.

I am enjoying the build a great deal, and appreciate it very much.

Stew

later today, the "Plan" is to haul the 1 x 8s SLOWLY to the shop...crosscut them down, to see what all I have....3 fronts, 3 backs, and 6 sides. Fronts can have a smallish knot or two. Sides need to be the best 17" long sections I can find. backs? Whatever is left, as long as it isn't warped too badly...fronts are 25" long. would have to measure the backs, as they depend on how deep the dados are...also, may deepen the grooves for the drawer bottoms to sit in..closer to 3/8", rather than the plough plane's 1/4"...

waiting on the Boss to get back from the store...house sitting right now..

Shop is a "hybrid shop"....I make do with what I have...

Why do you want the best wood on the sides of the drawers rather than the fronts?

have had a few sides split due to a knot...less chance of problems with "clear" wood for the sides. fronts can have a tight knot, or two...clear wood for a drawer front is a bit bland in Pine..

hauled 3 out of 4 boards to the shop...cross cut to get blanks for 3 fronts, and 6 sides...plus a couple for the backs...had one spot that was tossed..
    double trouble.JPG
    pretty, ain't it? NOT, cut this away from the rest.
    chosen 3.JPG
    Ends have been squared, all have been ripped to the same width...test fitted the sides, once they were cut to length, and ripped for width
    test fit sides.JPG
    Stashed some leftovers, to use as backs..
    backs.JPG
    And got the cove bit out...
    cove bit.JPG
    So, in the morning, I can set up the router. need this ran first, before the rest of the cuts are made...
    Stay tuned, as I worked on a little jig...

two pieces of scrap..
    handle jig build.JPG
    Two screws to keep it square...
    centered.JPG
    Marked a few "centers" center of handle is 5" in from an edge...marked where the mounting bolts need holes drilled, to center that handle
    drill a drawer.JPG
    I used a combo square to help center the jig on the drawer front....clamped the jig in place, drilled the holes..
    ready to drill.JPG
    Used an awl to start the drill in the right spots...drilled these here, then used these holes as guides.
    IMG_7731.jpg
    Top 2 drawers now have their handles. I also relieved the back corners on the drawer..
    relieved corner.JPG
    Make a full drawer easier to start into the case... plane to clean up a bit..
    edge clean up.JPG
    As the front was a tad lower than the sides...all even, now.
    Was a busy afternoon...getting things prepped for in the morning...
    busy day.JPG
    Cross cuts were done at the bench, with a 6" SKIL saw...
    maybe, in the morning, I can start out, and get something done?

Stay tuned