Thread: Knife presentation box

Knife presentation box

A friend builds some very nice custom knives and we've been talking about a collaboration on Etsy, for him to build the knife and me to build a box. He didn't have a knife ready but I built a box anyway. And I built a knife...

The box is Walnut with Figured Walnut accents and Red Palm handles, finished in Nitrocellulose lacquer. To keep the lid closed, there are four rare earth magnets under the veneer on the edge near the Red Palm handles. The knife is Curly Maple, Red Palm, and Figured Walnut, finished is French polish Shellac.

001 - Knife presentation box.jpg

003 - Knife presentation box.jpg

009 - Walnut, Red Palm, Curly Maple, Figured Walnut knife and box.jpg

010 - Walnut, Red Palm, Curly Maple, Figured Walnut knife and box.jpg

Enjoy!
    David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

It just occurred to me as I looked at the photos that I didn't mention, nor does it show, but the figured Walnut border on the lid is angled 7.5°. I cut those strips about 1/16" thick and then had to miter them at the corners. With very thin veneer that's pretty quick and easy but with pieces even 1/16" thick that has to be a compound angle. Came out ok, though. Also, I used rare earth magnets on either side of the Red Palm to keep the lid closed.

012 - Walnut, Red Palm, Figured Walnut border treatment.jpg

David
    David

Very nice work, David. Beautiful choice of woods. The mitered veneer looks great...had to be a fun challenge. Burying the magnets under veneer is a neat idea. May have to give that a try. Thanks for posting!

Thanks, Phil! I used N50 strength rare earth magnets and these are strong enough to go through the thick veneer. I'm not sure the N35 strength would be strong enough. Hundreds of sellers on Etsy, which is where I got these.

David
    David

Blog Entries
    Beautiful work David. The "stage" knife is no slouch either; that could be a marketable item to knife lovers.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler