Thread: Trying to Find a Spindle that will work for Ridgid wl1200

Trying to Find a Spindle that will work for Ridgid wl1200

Hello all, this is my first post after lurking for awhile, but I thought maybe someone would be able to help.

I bought an old Ridgid wl1200 bar lathe and have been having fun making little bowls. I got a bit over my skiis and bent the spindle turning a big log that wasn't round yet. I looked around a little and found no one sells the spindle anymore, so I sent the spindle to a friend with a machine shop, and the USPS promptly lost the package.

Now I can't even use the old one to see if we can fabricate a replacement. Wondering if anyone knew if any other spindle might fit.

So the spindle part number for the WL1200 is #826553, and no where I can find online has it.
    I learned this was a clone of a craftsman lathe, model number 113.228160...and the spindle on that is #56611 and no one online has that one either.
    I was sent by Sears to Emerson, who manufactured both machines, but so far no luck on getting any info, I was asking for a schematic or Cad file or anything.

Does anyone know if spindles from any other machine or some sort of universal or generic one exists?

If not does anyone have my same lathe and have the know how to measure it with the accuracy I'd need to have a machine shop make one? I tried eBay with no luck. Any help appreciated

I had one like those it was called a duracraft made in Taiwan, you know what it would cost you to have a spindle made from scratch you could buy a nicer lathe , but remember to look at craigs list I have seen them there so you could get spare parts along the way with the spindle, yeah you gotta love usps another quality govt. agency.

Carson,

It might be easier to get another one of those lathes. I had one as my first lathe and after a very short time I bought a new lathe and gave the 1200 to a friend. I could ask if he's still using or plans to use it. I occasionally see one for sale usually from $100-$200.

But maybe think of this as divine intervention! - time to replace the lathe? I think that has to be one of the worst lathes ever made. I used mine to make what I bought it for, then turned a few other spindles and bowls before I realized how limited it was. Almost any lathe would be better! (It did have a great manual, though - it included a basic but rather complete woodturning course!) In fact, you might be able to find a different and far better old lathe for pretty cheap, maybe even for less than you would have to pay a machinist unless he works for free!

But if you really want to fix it, with the lathe in hand you might take measurements, make a drawing, and make one to fit. I never took mine apart but from the parts diagram in the manual it looks pretty simple. You should have the pulleys, collars, bearings, retaining rings, nut (3/4x16), and drive center to measure or mail to the machinist. This time insure it for the cost of a replacement lathe!

JKJ

Check on the online fleamarket, there is one guy on Micjigan that sells parts, goes by "dont??? " or something like that.

Re: Duracraft

Quote Originally Posted by david privett View Post
    I had one like those it was called a duracraft made in Taiwan, you know what it would cost you to have a spindle made from scratch you could buy a nicer lathe , but remember to look at craigs list I have seen them there so you could get spare parts along the way with the spindle, yeah you gotta love usps another quality govt. agency.
    Oh I'll poke around a bit and see if I can find a spindle for the duracraft. My Brother in Law is a machinist, so he might be able to help me out for cheaper than if I just went to a regular shop, He's a few hours away so getting the lathe up there in my sedan might not be easy. Thanks for the info!

And yes, more than a little disappointed in the USPS, second high value package they lost for me in a month, this one had insurance and tracking, but still got lost, and they denied my claim (tracking said it got there, it never showed up)

Yeah I bought it for not too much, 150, and now that it broke, my wife is not too happy with me spending more for a new one, I might need to let some time pass before I pitch that, in the meantime I was hoping to get it up and running.

I may see if I can figure out the right size for a replacement spindle by the other parts, good idea.

Oh, I haven't heard of the online fleamarket, a quick google search brought up many option, but nothing obvious. Which one were you referring to? I'll check it out.

Not sure if this will work, but first find some numbers of the Craftsman tube lathes. Check to see if you can find the part number for each one. My guess is that they all used mostly the same parts. I am guessing a first generation tube lathe spindle would be the same as the last one they sold, and probably the same for all copies, ecven the current Ridgid brand.

Message me your email address.

Carson, I see that you live in Southern Ca. Perhaps there is a nearby wood turning club.

I live in the San Diego area and periodically, there is a person who needs to make room for a new upscale lathe. They'll sometimes give away their old lathe that they started on. Or they'll sell it at a low price. I sold my 9 x 36" craftsman (cast iron bed) lathe for $75.

Craig's list often has low-end lathes.

Also, both in LA and San Diego there is a Rockler antique parking lot tool sale three times a year. In Culver City there is a similar tool sale at Anderson plywood. Low end lathes similar to the Ridgid show up regularly somewhere in that neighborhood of $50 to 150.

But the old tube lathes had issues with rigidity and alignment. Maybe it is time to look for a better lathe.

Alternatively, you know a lot about the spindle: the bearings will give you the diameter of the spindle. You can measure the rest off of the carcass of your lathe. So, it could be reverse engineered without a whole lot of difficulty. But you'd still end up with a $150 (or less) lathe.

Oh thanks for the info I may try and check one of those out. I guess I need to give up on my lathe as a lost cause, it just kills me to let a tool die, even if it isn't the best.

Quote Originally Posted by carson mckay View Post
    Oh thanks for the info I may try and check one of those out. I guess I need to give up on my lathe as a lost cause, it just kills me to let a tool die, even if it isn't the best.
    You might advertise it on Craigslist or somewhere for the remaining parts. Maybe someone's looking for a motor or a tailstock.

JKJ

Yeah maybe it's time to let this go and sell off parts to try and recoup part of the cost of getting it.

Anyone know much about how a Shopsmith is for wood turning? Any ones to look for or avoid? Been seeing a few around and made em wonder.

I was wondering if I should just try to pitch going more $$ and getting something like a Jet 1221vs type lathe, anyone seen one used?

thanks for all your advice

Hi Carson, I also live in the LA area and am relatively new to woodturning (less than 6 months). Last fall I joined the OCWoodworkers assn which has a separate Woodturning meeting once a month. I was able to pick up a used lathe at a reasonable price from one of the members. If you need more information on the club, I would be glad to provide additional help. If you decided to go the Shopsmith route, I am actually selling mine. I never used the lathe function so I can not provide any help there, but the other functions worked very well for me over the years. Feel free to PM me and we can talk more if interested. Thanks,

My Shopsmith is a horrible lathe... It can't turn slow enough and it is less than ridgid. Under powered too. It makes a lot of noise too.

C

Hmm, so sounds like shopsmith is not a great option then