Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Unisaw Platinum Edition worth $350?

Delta Unisaw Platinum Edition worth $350?

I am relatively new to this site but find it extremely helpful with a lot of very good information. I am just starting to put a shop together and have been watching tables saws on CL and auction sites. I found this Unisaw Platinum Edition on CL today and they are asking $400. I called to ask a few questions and asked if they would take $350 for it and they accepted. I am scheduled to go see the saw on Friday. It is about a 4 hour drive one way so wanted to make sure it was worth the trip. Below are pictures of the saw along with a snip of the add itself. Any opinions or information would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If that were an hour drive of me, id be there to buy it from underneath you for $400. I sold a unisaw in fantastic/mostly reconditioned shape before Christmas for $1100. Id say a single phase unisaw in the condition of the one you posted is worth $900-950 most days of the week. Maybe in the $800s if the market is sluggish in July/August when most guys are fishing/golfing and not woodworking.

Id confirm its single phase, and then id ask if you can paypal them a deposit to hold it for you. I dont want to panic you, but as a seller if someone offered me full asking price and was on my doorstep, id accept and never return your call. This is craigslist, and i run a mildly ruthless first come, first served mentality. $350 on that saw is less than half of fair market value, and usually the type of deal you strike when you find the ad 5 minutes after it has been posted and are on site within the hour. 8 hours round trip is a journey though.

Probably worth more than twice that.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Cheap.... better hurry up!

This is one case where it is smart NOT to show your location.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    This is one case where it is smart NOT to show your location.
    My post probably seems jerky, but yeah, i would absolutely buy and flip that saw if it was closer. Its about 2 hours for us, Bill. I missed a PM66 2 weeks ago for $150 in new castle. that is one where i called the guy an hour after he listed it and he already had someone coming to get it. I often wonder what deals i never even know about because they go so quickly.

The OWWM rules are very much a real thing. I get we all want validation when making decisions,but it can bite you when its a good deal.

If you watch the sale sections on the various forums you start to get an idea on what machines are worth. A lot of times when something is cheap the first thing that comes to mind is “what’s wrong with it”. It could be a piece of junk, the owner has no idea what it’s worth, they know what it’s worth but wants it gone.

If it looks good then get it. The fence alone is with the price of the saw.
    Don

First rule in buying used equipment.... never show, tell, hint, or imply anything until the machine is in your hands. You've just let everyone on this site know of a steal in your area and are hoping nobody jumps on it before you! Luckily it's a bit too far from me Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but that was just not the best idea, and while I do hope you get it, just don't be at all surprised if it disappears before you get there

In the future I highly recommend doing your homework first, then buying, then coming here and gloat about the great deal you got

good luck!
    JeffD

I've seen this with bankruptcies, business break-ups and real break-ups aka divorces. It does not look like a work-shop. It is $.50 on the dollar. There is probably a back story and some pain.
    Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.

Phillip, unless there's something wrong with that machine, it's easily worth twice the asking price or even more, depending on condition, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Run Forest Run

Now for the next pertinent question: Will Philip be posting his second post at SMC tomorrow?

Hope we get an update and he gets his saw...
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Just be aware it is Right Tilt.

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Well, I did not get the saw. Confirmed before I left that it was still there and our deal was still in good standing. An hour into the trip I got a call that they sold it to someone else. Not happy! Wont make the mistake of advertising until I have it in my possession next time! The search continues.

Not surprised. I doubt that had anything to do with posting it here. More or less, the real take away you should have is dont second guess yourself and waste time. If a screaming deal presents itself, go look at it. Listings like that one typically last hours and not days.

Also, why does everyone think right tilt saws are the devil? Nearly all sliders are right tilt so you dont cut into your crosscut fence. Each has its pros and cons.