Thread: Finish for Wooden Ladder

Finish for Wooden Ladder

I made a ships ladder of douglas fir. It will be used in a “cave like” environment. Area has high humidity and water periodically drips from the top.

What would be the best clear finish to use? I also want to keep the steps from becoming slippery.

Thanks.

I’d use spar varnish. It is designed to be a little more flexible than the usual varnish, so it can deal with the flexing that happens with a wooden ladder.

For slip resistance, I’d look to the abrasive tape intended to give a non-skid edge on steps.

I wouldn't use a clear finish - I'd paint it. Paint holds up much better than any clear finish.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Paint may be more durable but wood ladders should never be painted. Paint can obscure defects in the wood. This is a traditional rule not something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene View Post
    Paint may be more durable but wood ladders should never be painted. Paint can obscure defects in the wood. This is a traditional rule not something I made up.
    I can understand that if you're buying a ladder. But if you made the ladder, you know what the wood is like. And if the wood cracks or otherwise fails, you will see it even with paint on the wood.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.