Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much do you use Handscrew Clamps

For those who might be interested, Rockler currently has their 8" handscrew clamps on sale for $9 per. Seems like a pretty good price. Unfortunately, that's the only size on sale.

https://www.rockler.com/wooden-handscrew-clamps-clamps

I have about 10 of them within arms reach of my bench. Use them often to hold small piece that I don't care to hold in my hand and take a blade to. Use them as a vise in a vise often. Use them to hold tools that I don't want to put a metal clamp on. Such as in the picture. This is used like a marking gauge for repeats such as cutting many equal pieces off of a single board
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a bunch of them in three different sizes. I don't use them much but every now and then they are just the right clamp. I bought most of them when I was just starting woodworking and thought they were what I needed.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I find them handy for holding a door for lockset installation, with the handscrew clamped to the bench and grabbing the door edge.

You can screw jaw extensions on to make a deep reach clamp, for instance to push down a veneer bubble.

I modified one to use as a valve spring compressor during an engine overhaul. Worked great.

Clint

I use mine to hold small circular objects secured with those non-slip mats when drilling on the drill press.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Hi All,

I have five handscrew clamps, and a few kits to build a few more.

How often do use handscrew clamps? Are they important to you, and what sizes are used most?
    I have a bunch of them, across the range of sizes. I use the Dubuque clamps, which have rather impressive holding power. https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...item/MS-WSC.XX They are the first things I'll reach for if a clamping situation looks awkward with a regular F-type clamp. Also you can gang them up easily.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 02-14-2019 at 11:37 AM.

I must be the odd-man-out here. I have no idea exactly how many I have but considerably more than anyone else posted.

I love my original Jorgensen clamps, but since the demise of Pony, I tried some of the HF versions in various sizes. Not so fond of the HF version but they are fair. Need to try the Dubuque brand.

To answer Stew’s original question, I keep a couple stacks of them near the bench and usually grab them first. They apply pressure across a broad area and I can use the two knobs to adjust where that pressure is greatest. Not as quick or easy to use as a good quality Bessey F-clamp or Quick-Clamp, but certainly very versatile.

In the eaely 60's, whn I had my first shop class (7th grade), the only clamps we had were handscrew clamps. We had benches, IIRC, 6' X 6', with vises on two of the left corners. We built a number of things, and I really don't remember needing any other sort of workholding beyond what we had and what our shop teacher showed us.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    Odd man out - I had a number of them, got rid of them and never missed them. To hold a piece on the bench over a leg, I use a 6" F style Bessey.

I use mine all the time; have 8 ttl: 4", 6", & 8". The 6" are used most.

One of the many ways I use hand screws. Holding small parts where you don't want your fingers in line with a blade or you don't want your blade to hit other than wood. It helps to support small objects to prevent breaks.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi All,

One of my co-workers used to work in a cabinet shop. He said he used them every day.

The cabinet shop he worked in made curved cabinet stuff. They used thin strips glued up so that they could make pretty good bends. When they glued and clamped up the stips they used handscrew clamps about every 6" around each curve.

He now has a couple handscrew clamps now in his own shop, and uses them a great deal on his own projects. I think he added that there are many uses for them, and in some cases they are about the only way to do a glue up.

He said at the cabinet shop they used primarily 10 and 12 inch clamps. He has 8 inch clamps at his home shop.

Stew

Stew, we used them same way. We also had orders for straight hand rail that had to be glued up. Sadly they were often
    stolen . Several times I saw the shop owner drive up in a pick up truck filled with them, he never missed a chance to
    buy them from a shop going out of business.

Because they can be easily offset its easy to clamp odd shaped pieces like railings. They can be used in pairs to clamp and glue shelves into dados on long pieces you don't have bar clamps to reach. Curved work they shine on. A piece of wax paper and nowadays packing tape keeps the glue off. They are the first clamps I think about when I'm looking for a way to clamp something difficult to figure out.
    Jim