Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much do you use Handscrew Clamps

Thanks for the link. It’s good to know of a good ole USA source for new clamps.

I have a pile of old all wood handscrew clamps. Some quite large. I may have one or two that rival Jim’s monster. I do use them.

The parallel variety were a brilliant bit of evolution. I would not not do without my hoard of Wetzler wood parallel handscrew clamps. Most of those took some effort to clean the threads to smooth condition, but worth the effort.

[QUOTE=glenn bradley;2898300]

It's your best friend if you have an i-Box.

Attachment 403441

/QUOTE]

Good to know. I just ordered an I-box last week - thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtis Johnson View Post
    Thanks for the link. It’s good to know of a good ole USA source for new clamps.
    I've heard good things about the Dubuque bar clamps, too.

I used to use handscrews a lot for various workholding operations but they have largely been replaced by my raamtangs (large wedge powered clamp / vises). They still see limited use for clamping but they are rarely my first choice.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    I used to use handscrews a lot for various workholding operations but they have largely been replaced by my raamtangs (large wedge powered clamp / vises). They still see limited use for clamping but they are rarely my first choice.
    i can’t quite picture how raamtangs could nearly replace handscrews. Can you elaborate a little.
    Jim

I have a collection of Chicago/Jorgensen hand screw clamps in various sizes. Most picked up for cheap at flea markets, antique shops, and when they’d go on sale at the home center. I’m glad I got stocked up on the real deal prior to production moving off shore.

I find them them to be just about as handy as they come. Derek illustrates a few of the many uses earlier in the thread.
    Last edited by Rob Luter; 02-23-2019 at 4:37 PM. Reason: Dumb typo
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    One of my 8" hand screw clamps was used today to hold a piece being cut with a fret saw.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Don't use often but also handy when repairing/regluing a broken wooden tote on a bench plane...
    You are able to get near the exact angle to do the reglue properly before sanding..
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    Here is a use from today:

Got Some Planing to Do.jpg

The hand screw clamp is being used as a planing stop while planing a 16/4 piece of poplar.

With the light weight saw benches one has to set the plane to a lighter cut to keep from moving them around all the time.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

4 inchers currently on sale for half price. Just ordered four of them.

I must say - providing links to items to be purchased should not be allowed, especially on a day where the high will be 8 degrees... I have clicked on more than one link from this forum to purchase stuff.

Just kidding obviously. Thanks for the link.
    Regards,

Kris

I have two that were given to me long ago. I can't remember the last time I used them.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney