Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with Holbren! (RESOLVED)

Problem with Holbren! (RESOLVED)

I ordered 5 router bits from Horbren, one of them was the wrong shank size, my mistake. Called and talked to Brian, and he said I could send to bit back for exchange. Sent the bit back with credit card#, because the bit I wanted cost more. After over a week never got a response. I called and was told Brian was not in, left message to call me. No call, called 3 more times over 5 day same thing Brian not in office.. Called today and told the lady I would post on woodworking forum and call credit card if I didn't hear from him today. No call.

Brian is a standup guy. Many of us have had many dealings with him.

Threatening to, and then Flaming him on an Internet forum belongs in grade school. Be patient, talk to the lady kindly, and get it figured out.

Holbren is a small business, not Amazon. Maybe there’s a family emergency, did you consider something like that?

Sounds like there might be more to this story too.

Edit: forgot the discount is from woodnet, not SMC.
    Last edited by Matt Day; 02-12-2019 at 9:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like the person answering the phone was a poor choice. Always had great service from Brian. Something is amiss and it is not normal.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Brian is a standup guy. Many of us have had many dealings with him.

Threatening to, and then Flaming him on an Internet forum belongs in grade school. Be patient, talk to the lady kindly, and get it figured out.

Holbren is a small business, not Amazon. Maybe there’s a family emergency, did you consider something like that?

Sounds like there might be more to this story too.

Edit: forgot the discount is from woodnet, not SMC.
    Don't think I flamed him, just stated facts. If he had a family emergency the lady should have said as much, and I would have waited. I told told the lady if I didn't hear something what I would do. Now you can call it grade school, but I call it common courtesy to let me know something after to weeks. And you don't know how I talked to the lady. Why don't you call and ask if I was rude to her before making assumptions.
    Last edited by paul dyar; 02-12-2019 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paul dyar View Post
    Don't think I flamed him, just stated facts. If he had a family emergency the lady should have said as much, and I would have waited. I told told the lady if I didn't hear something what I would do. Now you can call it grade school, but I call it common courtesy to let me know something after to weeks. And you don't know how I talked to the lady. Why don't you call and ask if I was rude to her before making assumptions.

Small businesses rely on word of mouth to build there business. That is one incentive for giving good service. that same word of mouth happens when service is bad. Paul, I would have done he same thing. If "Brian" is the only person that can help you that might be something that Holbren may want to address. I would hate for Holbren to get bad reviews due to one person being off work for an extended time for what ever reason.

I would have expected a response within a week. That may be just some communication as to what is going on. It does not have to be a fix to my problem, just some communication so I know that they did not forget about me.

I ordered 5 router bits from Horbren, one of them was the wrong shank size, my mistake. Called and talked to Brian, and he said I could send to bit back for exchange. Sent the bit back with credit card#, because the bit I wanted cost more. After over a week never got a response. I called and was told Brian was not in, left message to call me. No call, called 3 more times over 5 day same thing Brian not in office.. Called today and told the lady I would post on woodworking forum and call credit card if I didn't hear from him today. No call.
    Im not sure how we are to help. Why dont you call, ask her to refund the returned bit, and then just order the one you need from the website, Seems pretty easy rather than getting the owner of the company involved in a simple transaction. I have ordered a few things from there, not once did i make it an issue to the world.

I had to deal with Holbren recently and was at the other end of the spectrum, very satisfied with the transaction.

A couple of things to know. I am pretty sure this is a one man operation. Also the lady on the phone is a reception service that is hired to take messages. So she most likely has no idea where Brian is...

I have ordered many times from them before and never had an issue. I am not trying to excuse the lack of answer, all I'm saying is give the guy some time he should make things right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Riseborough View Post
    I have ordered a few things from there, not once did i make it an issue to the world.

Jim welcome to 2019 and the world of Facebook. A lot of people post everything. Good and Bad. Big and small, it doesn't mater.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    Jim welcome to 2019 and the world of Facebook. A lot of people post everything. Good and Bad. Big and small, it doesn't mater.
    Yea, im sure the lady was like 'Okay' when she was threatened that it would be on a woodworkers forum. What else would she say, 'Oh please not a forum!'

Got email from Brian yesterday. He apologized for the delay and resolved the issue. Don't know if posting on forum helped or not. I hated to do it, but I needed to know something. The problem may have been with lady that was taking message. But wanted to let forum know he did make things right.

Got email from Brian yesterday. He apologized for the delay and resolved the issue. Don't know if posting on forum helped or not. I hated to do it, but I needed to know something. The problem may have been with lady that was taking message. But wanted to let forum know he did make things right.
    So he emailed you after 930PM last night? Now that is customer service!

Maybe he is on vacation, family/personal illness, or something else significant. You have every right to post on a forum, but waiting to hear from them before posting it somewhere for all to see is another choice.

Thanks for update - the people on the other end are just a contracted service and clueless. I have always emailed Brian and gotten prompt service. Case in point, emailed Brian regarding availabilty of item. Received response way after hours and item shipped way before estimated backorder timeline. I never expect an operator standing by - otherwise you will pay Woodcraft insane pricing for the same router bit.

Don't know if posting on forum helped or not..
    It didn’t.

I hated to do it
    I doubt that.

Holbren has been one of my best and favorite suppliers for many years. Really a stellar guy. Not cool to post this so hastily IMO, but appreciate the update that the concern was resolved.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....