Thread: Anyone in the EU?

Anyone in the EU?

Hello all,
    I have made a friend in Denmark. He is a beginning luthier, but has been diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy which has severely curtailed his ability to do the hand work involved. I've been trying to find ways to help him, but being in the US, there's not much I can do. I thought about shaping some necks on my CNC for him, but he says shipping would be pretty bad but import duties from outside the EU are something like 80%. Good golly that's madness and for a small guy trying to do what he loves and maybe make a little money at it, it puts the possibility out of reach. He has spoken to job shops near him, but they have big industrial machines and industrial operations that again, cost far too much to rent out time on.

So, I thought of coming to you all. I know some here are pro shops, many are garage jobbers, and I'm sure some of you have to be in the EU, maybe even Denmark. Would any of you be willing to help him, or point him in the right direction to find some fellow woodworkers with CNCs that could be of assistance? Due to his disease he has little energy for the shop, so I'd guess this needs would be a couple hours a month maybe for a neck or two. Buying the necks off you is a possibility, if it could be done at a reasonable price point, otherwise he would need to find someone near him he could rent time on your machine or something. The idea is to eventually have a CNC of his own so he could be more productive, but with his life circumstances right now he doesn't have anywhere near the money to buy or make a CNC.

Thanks everyone,
    Michael

The import duties would be on the value you put on it while shipping. Why could it not be like $2 or so?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I asked that and he said the import duties are charged for shipping fees, too.

Here's in the US we're always like, "oh no! They're raising our taxes .01%!!! That's robbery!"
    Check this out. Oi.
    https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_custom...ion-country_en

I had no idea there were so many taxes and duties on everything brought into the EU. I would simply not be able to survive, financially.

-Michael

I live in Denmark. I don't have CNC routers but lasers both for cutting wood/plastic and metal. There are a couple of reasonably active Danish CNC groups on Facebook.

Here is one of them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1597095953896634/

I'm the admin on a Danish FB group for laser cutting: https://www.facebook.com/groups/169628966917341/

There is no duty imposed on the shipping fee but sales tax (VAT) is and the rate in Denmark is 25%. We get by OK though - health care and education is paid for through taxes so no one has to worry whether they can afford to get an education or receive treatment.
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

BTW, there is no 80% duty on anything (besides vehicles). I just imported a fiber laser from China and duty was 4.5%. However the postal service will charge a fee to do the Customs clearance.
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

Thank you Michael! I'll pass those on to him.

-Michael