Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone have experience with Accoya?

Accoya does not use torrification, or heat, rather it is a chemical process using acetic acid to achieve a similar result. Don't ask me to explain the particulars. Accoya is a brand name referring to the process. When I first looked into Accoya it seemed that a number of species were being processed, but as far as I know only Radiata pine is available in my area.

For exterior millwork with "natural" wood Honduras mahogany ( Swietania Macrophylla from Central/ South America) is hard (impossible) to beat, but difficult to justify due to cost and rarity. The resource has been effectively mined out. I did make a door recently with mahogany faced rails and stiles laid up on a sapele laminated core and solid mahogany panels and moldings, but that was a premium project.

Imagine being a cabinetmaker in 18th century Europe when mahogany was first imported in quantity from the new world. Here was an easily worked, beautiful stable wood that did not have to be glued up for width- effectively plywood, only better, much better. I bet they went to bed happy men, dreaming of ready-mixed glue.

In my fading memory, I assisted my neighbor and colleague 35 years ago with a 30 door project all in solid mahogany , from Peru I believe. Several thousand board feet arrived, 8, 10 and 12/4, the largest planks over 36" wide and I don't remember anything less than 10". We roughed it out, stickered and remilled it, beautiful stuff. Try and find anything like that now. When the white elephant they were installed in was deconstructed due to excessive maintenance costs several years ago the doors were parted out and looked as good as new.

Accoya is what's left, grab it while you can.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 02-16-2019 at 2:09 AM. Reason: punctuation

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    umm.. I haven't examined the difference between torrified and acetalized, so I'm not much help here. And I don't know which of those processes applies to the browned ash at my local hardwood dealer.
    Ash is one of the species used for torrified wood and, as far as I know, pine is the only species sold as Accoya. What you've seen must be torrified wood.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Ash is one of the species used for torrified wood and, as far as I know, pine is the only species sold as Accoya. What you've seen must be torrified wood.

John
    Do torrification and acetylization achieve the same resistance to weather and bugs?

This guy uses Accoya for a few projects as well if anyone wants to watch it being machined. Even made dominos with it: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ollybrad2k10

Good channel besides that as well.

B
    Last edited by brent stanley; 02-16-2019 at 11:30 AM.
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Do torrification and acetylization achieve the same resistance to weather and bugs?
    Accoya claims 50 years against rot. One of the torrefied sites I looked at claimed 25 years. I don't recall seeing any real data on dimensional stability for torrefied wood, only that it's more stable than wood that has not been roasted, while Accoya posts a pretty complete data package for their product. If you are looking for a dark color the torrefied products look like a good choice.

John

I think at this point Accoya is a better bet than thermally modified wood. I played around with some that a timber distributor sent to us and the results were pretty disappointing. Ripped out some glass beads and they curled up like spaghetti. According to a wood scientist I know this is a tricky process to get right with some mfgs better than others.

For me seeing how the glass beads behave is always a good indicator of stability. Accoya was not bad in this respect but not as good as White oak, tight grain fir or Sipo. Khaya being the worst I have ever experienced.

Another feature of Accoya that I find a plus is the availability of thicker 10 to 16 quarter stock that would eliminate any laminating for thicker doors and windows. None of the distributors I have contacted had those thickness but Accoya information says it is available.

Your experience and insights are always appreciated Joe. Thanks very much. As pretty as the toasted ash looks, I'll scratch it off my list of candidates for exterior doors.