Thread: How best to finish this piece?

How best to finish this piece?

Hey all,

This piece is part of a coaster set I'm making. The wood is walnut, and the letters are painted on. I was thinking of just going with a simple, no-brainer, spray-can poly finish; I don't really expect these to get used (more for decoration), and I was leery about using a wipe-on finish over the paint (although the paint has been dried for a few days now).

I rarely use spray finishes (I don't own an HVLP system), so when I do spray I either do it outdoors or in my garage. Well, the cold weather in my region is preventing me from doing that right now, so I was hoping for another option. Anyone have any suggestions? Could I use a wipe-on (or brush-on) product at this point, or would I run the risk of smearing the paint? Any other options?

Thanks,
    Steve

piece.jpg
    And there was trouble, taking place...

As they used to ask Johnny, "how cold is it?"

On 35 degree days I've gotten away with heating the spray can of lacquer in warm, not hot, not heated, tap water, a heat gun on low from a distance on the workpiece and having at it. In the Sun. Then quickly retreating to the Warm.

Steve, the walnut is going to be best served with either an oil based finish (wipe on or rattle can) or a spray coat of shellac followed by a water born clear from a spray can. Straight water borne is going to make the walnut look really "cold". Now all of these things are very sensitive to temperature with the exception of the shellac which is a little more forgiving. You're welcome to do some rattle can work over here in my heated shop as long as it's scheduled at a mutually convenient time. I'd suggest the shellac followed by something like the Varathane waterborne poly in the spray can. I used that combination recently on some small inspirational signs I'm selling on ETSY and they turned out very nicely. And yes, that's black paint on the backgrounds...

IMG_E3255.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hmmm, I could see spraying some shellac on them first, followed by the Varathane poly. I might be able to do that in my basement shop if I cover all the important things first. The temperature down there is fine; it's the lack of real ventilation that's the problem. Or I could find that little space heater I have and put that in my garage! Oooh, possibly better option.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Steve, for small things, the Zinsser shellac in a spray can is going to be "quick" and not too bad, but you could do that step in your garage on one of the warmer days with the space heater (or do it over here) and then do the water borne Varathane spray bomb back at your basement shop. Stuff drys fast. And again, you're welcome do to those things here...it's not like it's a long commute. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...