Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you use a drill press table?

Do you use a drill press table?

I stumbled upon Matthias Wandel's video, and then webpage, where he outlines why he doesn't use a drill press table (he means a custom table added to the press, not the stock table). This got me wondering if any woodworkers prefer NOT using a custom drill press table, and if so, why? I cannot imagine going without a drill press table. I upgraded my drill press recently and I'm itching to build a new table... for me it's much slower, less accurate, and more dangerous to NOT have a table with a fence + stop and T tracks to secure the work.

Here's the link for anyone interested: http://woodgears.ca/drillpress/table.html

I dont use when drilling pen blanks due to size of pen drilling vise, but for other stuff I do.

When I made mine I painstakingly designed it to be readily removable. And... haven't removed it in 6 years.

Blog Entries
    Matthias is an interesting and innovative guy but, I don't agree with everything he's ever said (I also don't hold tings I am drilling with my bare hands, we have clamps you know). I would be loath to give up my table; three different fences and a wide assortment of jigs. Maybe he's never used one that easily tilts left, right and forward ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Day View Post
    I stumbled upon Matthias Wandel's video, and then webpage, where he outlines why he doesn't use a drill press table (he means a custom table added to the press, not the stock table). This got me wondering if any woodworkers prefer NOT using a custom drill press table, and if so, why? I cannot imagine going without a drill press table. I upgraded my drill press recently and I'm itching to build a new table... for me it's much slower, less accurate, and more dangerous to NOT have a table with a fence + stop and T tracks to secure the work.
    I agree, I have a table with a fence mounted to a x-y vice that's mounted to the drill press table.
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

I recently upgraded my drill press, too, but haven't settled on what to do about a table. At this point, I've just rigged a fence made of misc. parts.

Glenn, do you happen to have pictures of yours?

Yea that guy does a lot of weird things, most of which I think are silly. Personally I think a drill press table can greatly enhance the functionality of a drill press if its a good design and of good quality. And especially if it adds dust collection!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Matthias is an interesting and innovative guy but, I don't agree with everything he's ever said (I also don't hold tings I am drilling with my bare hands, we have clamps you know). I would be loath to give up my table; three different fences and a wide assortment of jigs. Maybe he's never used one that easily tilts left, right and forward ;-)
    Yup +1.

I have a drill press table with a removable Kreg extrusion about 4 feet long with 2 flip stops.

When I'm making doors I can set the stops, drill the 35mm hinge holes without measuring or marking and everything is perfect.

Drill presses are meant for metal working and have small tables for use with a drill press vice or clamps, not exactly optimum for wood working.

A well thought out table with a good fence and stops is really handy, and improves your safety by supporting larger work pieces. Mine has to be easily removed, as my small shop doesn't have room for it unless I'm using it..........Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't consider going back to having no table. I got one from Lee Valley that didn't cost much more than what it would have cost me for all the track, hardware etc.

Decades of using a drill press have not shown me the need for an auxiliary table. However my drill press tables often are used with a slab of MDF or a DP vise.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I wouldn't consider going back to having no table. I got one from Lee Valley that didn't cost much more than what it would have cost me for all the track, hardware etc.
    I was looking at that one, Frank. How much hassle is it to put on/take off?

I think they make a lot of operations simpler, and good to have. For a new shop there are many things I would get first.

Well isn't that interesting - Matthias has copied me

His comments in the video (about needing to use the full table) are exactly my experience. And so my drill press has a loose board that is replaced when the holes become invasive.

Mine does go one step further, in that there is a sliding fence (which came from a tablesaw). This acts as a moving depth stop, which may be clamped at a preferred distance from the drill bit. Really handy - and I wonder if anyone else has done something like this?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 02-13-2019 at 8:08 AM.

Blog Entries
    Couldn't do without mine. Fairly easily removable when I do a lot of work with steel or aluminum. I have a couple of vices that I use including a fairly large cross vice. Although that hasn't gotten much use since I got a mini-mill.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Day View Post

Here's the link for anyone interested: http://woodgears.ca/drillpress/table.html
    One reason I use a drill press table is that I try to make stuff that looks good. Another is that I don't want stock grabbing on a bit, and helocoptering me in the head, potentially knock some sense in on impact.