Thread: Brand New RAS

Brand New RAS

So I am going through CL today and I find a brand new in the box 113.197150 Craft RAS. Never been out of the box. Its MINT lol.

Does anyone have this model? It has the miter lock in the front rather than the T handle on top. The one I have now has the T handle miter stop.
    Was there ever any issues with the slide lock type miter lock?

I love my RAS. Some are scared to use them but I find them to be very handy. Correct sharp blade and it works fine for me.

He has it priced at 350 OBO. Thinking of getting it. Just a lot of set up hahah
    If you like your freedom, THANK a vet !

Mint or used, it’s still a Craftsman RAS. The only C’man RAS I’d even consider is the old vintage ones that don’t have any plastic. Anything besides that I wouldn’t take for free. If you want to use it for rough crosscuts and not for accurate work, go for it. But you could probabaly get the same saw used for $50.

I had one. Bought for $75, sold for $75. Good riddance.

Go ahead and buy it! I could use a real good laugh!

Seriously, You can buy a much better old iron such as Rockwell or Dewalt for much less than $350!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Racine View Post
    So I am going through CL today and I find a brand new in the box 113.197150 Craft RAS. Never been out of the box. Its MINT lol.

Does anyone have this model? It has the miter lock in the front rather than the T handle on top. The one I have now has the T handle miter stop.
    Was there ever any issues with the slide lock type miter lock?

I love my RAS. Some are scared to use them but I find them to be very handy. Correct sharp blade and it works fine for me.

He has it priced at 350 OBO. Thinking of getting it. Just a lot of set up hahah
    Might check - some of those saws had a safety recall. Craftsman offered $100 for the saw but no fix. http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/

There are previous threads on RAS you could check that had info on some of the models. Plenty of people say they are worthless and inaccurate. I had one since the '70s and tuned it properly and it was perfect (don't remember the model number). Most feel the newer models went way down in quality. Although l loved mine (perfect for dados) I finally gave mine away due to lack of space. I think $350 is way too much for the saw, new or not. What will they say if you have a warranty issue?

JKJ

Bought a new Craftsman back in 1980 for $300 and change, I think. Used it to do the framing in our housing . Been sitting in our garage since. I've done a few decks where I dado the 4 x4's to the framing. Works awesome for that. Tried to sell it once for $200. No bites. So it sits in the garage for now. No problem, lots of space there.

If I did buy it I would not give him asking price. I already have one that I use on a reg basis. I do everything with the one I have now. I worked on it and got it tuned up, new Neg blade on it etc.. I cross cut and rip and I have had 0 zero issues. Only looking at another one so that I could have a dedicated dado set up.

I know RAS get a bad rap. I may have been lucky and got a good one cause I have had 0 issues in the 10 yrs I have had mine. And what hiccups I did have were my fault and not the saw.

As far as the recall... They have since stopped doing that. They will give you 100 for motor and thats it. I did get my saw in under the recall and got the new blade gaurd etc. But I was one of the last few I think
    If you like your freedom, THANK a vet !

I had to look it up. That's not one of the good ones. I don't know when they stopped making the model I have, but it's a 12", and I bought it new in 1974. It's fairly heavy cast iron, and I use it for accurate 90 degree cuts still.

Someone gave me a 10" that looked similar to the model you posted the numbers for. It had a pretty flimsy arm and carriage assembly, and would flex enough to lock up the lightweight motor. I gave it to one of my workers to go in his scrap metal pile.

Blog Entries
    I have a 113.23100 with the D shaped handle behind the locking knob. It may be new and in the box, but that price is what he paid for it. Even in mint condition, it isn't new and there is no warranty and parts may be hard to come by if there is a problem.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Mike--if you like your current RAS...pick up a Dewalt GWI for less, replace the bearings, build a new table using "Mr. Sawdust's" design, another negative rake blade, take your wife to dinner and still put some changed in your pocket. Then...experience a cast iron cutting machine. I liked my Craftsman, sold it back to them for the $100 bounty which double what i paid. Spent about $250-$300 on my Dewalt including bearings & table, and it has been everything i'd read about them. Accurate, quiet, stable, solid. A darned nice saw that was built in 1957 or 1958 and could last another 40 years probably.
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I have a 113.23100 with the D shaped handle behind the locking knob...
    That looks like the one I have. It's a great machine which I leave setup to do perfect 90's.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Mine must be the same as Andy's. I don't know the model number. It has the D-handle behind the locking knob on the end of the arm. The arm, and whole assembly is substantial cast iron. The runners that the carriage rolls on are replaceable, but have never needed to be replaced on mine. The ball bearing rollers have eccentric centers that you can adjust, and get it rolling perfectly true.

I also really like the location of the switch. It's right under your thumb, after you put your hand on the handle.

I really can't remember if I bought it in 1973, or 4, but it was new then. I made a 6 foot long table for it, with casters, while I had the cardboard box open. It's still on that same stand, was in every house I built for 33 years, and on every site since then. Still cuts a dead true 90.

Here's what mine looks like. Yes, I like the switch location. Bought it from the original owner in the early '80's.

"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."