Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fine Woodworking Archive

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    First: I am not that computer savvy.

I loaded the Archive in on a HP PC -- Windows 7 professional -- with "viewable" screen size 12X 20".

Maybe I am not using the correct "key words" but it seems to take an inordinate amount of time to get results on a search and I find that the font/pictures are not as clear as I would like, so seems as if I am constantly adjusting the -/+ image/page size.
    The archive I ordered should be here today. I'm interested is seeing just how bad it is! I mostly want to find some articles in issues I'm missing.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    My version is a little older, but I have had no problem with its search or the results the search brings up. What problems do you and others have? You can choose how the search is done (eg limited to methods od work).

The scans also look good on my screen, as good as PW and others, and much better than WOODWORK.
    Are you viewing yours on a tablet?

Simon
    Simon my problems with the scans are on a high res Mac. FWIW, We all have different tolerances of image compression. Look at some of the early issues, look at the monochrome images and ads. Some of them look like vaseline was smeared over the image.

When they did these early scans they were targeting 5MB file sizes for an entire issue. Issues from 2010 are 30MB and look better.

They're readable, but annoying. Here's an example from issue 51:

FWW sample.jpg
    Mark McFarlane

Blog Entries
    I sent an inquiry to FWW early this week and received an auto response that someone would get back to me within 48 hours. Nothing so far. Which is about what I expect from this company. Things have been really sliding for the last few years over there.

i know this thread is old but i just saw this....https://www.ptreeusa.com/edirect_121019_fww_archive.htm

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I ordered it and lowered the relative shipping cost by adding more items to my order.

JKJ

smart move John - I doubt there is anyone on this board who would disagree with maximizing the benefit of shipping costs by ordering more tools. Just makes basic sense.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

If I see plans I want that are behind the subscription I just go on Amazon and order the back issue, there's always something there for $5 or so.

thread may be old, but I just bought it from the link above. THANKS

I hope you get your product. I tried to order the Archives for sale price of $65 from Fine Woodworking, but was told the product was not available. Some reviews of Peachtree complain of ordering items, then being informed it is on back order. Feedback please, caution is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    I hope you get your product. I tried to order the Archives for sale price of $65 from Fine Woodworking, but was told the product was not available. Some reviews of Peachtree complain of ordering items, then being informed it is on back order. Feedback please, caution is in order.
    Peachtree is definitely a reputable seller. The "backorder" status or issues with shipping the product were probably due to Fine Woodworking. Peachtree probably just plays middle man slanging the thumb drives and Fine Woodworking drop ships the item to the customer.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I've enjoyed the magazine for over 20 years, maybe 30 years. I subscribe to magazine and before there was the archive, I scanned pertinent articles from it and Fine Woodworking, American Woodworker, and other publications. I think at one time, I received 4 publications a month, and read every magazine cover to cover. I also subscribe to archive, which is $100 a year for the print magazine and access to the past articles. I do this because I enjoy reading the magazine, like access to past articles, and want to support woodworking. I've tossed the paper magazines I treasured years ago, and now have a sizeable pdf folder of tips and plans from the various magazines I've had over the years.
    Regards,

Tom