Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fine Woodworking Archive

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I agree with you Jim, they gotta do what they gotta do to stay afloat. But for me, $100/year is probably at least 3X what it's worth to me, so I'm out. I hope they can find enough subscribers to keep going. It's gotta be a tough to find the balance between charging enough to make a buck & charging so much that subscribers are driven away.
    Of course, one can buy the 1975-2018 archive for just a hundred bucks as an alternative...as I just found out while poking around on their site. That's almost a better deal than the premium subscription since it covers the same ground other than "new content" that's still to come.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Of course, one can buy the 1975-2018 archive for just a hundred bucks as an alternative...as I just found out while poking around on their site. That's almost a better deal than the premium subscription since it covers the same ground other than "new content" that's still to come.
    Where? I am still unable to find the archive on the FWW site. The link I found on the site to it was dead.

However, I see that Highland Woodworking has it on a flash drive for $80.
    https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...ash-drive.aspx

Edit: $10 shipping, hmm.., for a flash drive?

But bad news for residents of California: "This product may expose you to chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm." Oh those poor souls in California.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 02-12-2019 at 8:07 PM.

That's a good deal for the flash drive, John...it's $99 on the FW site and they probably add shipping to it, too. As to shipping...there's the actual postage cost plus packing material plus the cost of someone to pack it. Small orders generate more cost to the supplier than larger ones in many cases and many places have minumums. Nature of the beast...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's a good deal for the flash drive, John...it's $99 on the FW site and they probably add shipping to it, too. As to shipping...there's the actual postage cost plus packing material plus the cost of someone to pack it. Small orders generate more cost to the supplier than larger ones in many cases and many places have minumums. Nature of the beast...
    I ordered it and lowered the relative shipping cost by adding more items to my order.

JKJ

I looked at joining some years ago and at that time the download for the magazine was confined to Apple products and not a PC, has this changed or do you still need a Mac to download the magazine itself.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I was a devote to FWW for many years but even then I saw the "recycled" content. After many years I couldn't pick up a monthly that wasn't a rehash of one that came out 18 months previously and I lost the interest/need to subscribe. Buy the archive 1975 to 2018 and be done with it. And satisfied! It was a great publication that was integral to my growth in this activity but there comes a time when the student outgrows the master. Our craft is not sorcery and there comes a time when you can and need to march to the beat of your own drum.

I bought the dvd archive 5 or 10 years ago and was disappointed at the quality of the scans. The images were so highly compressed they were useless. Anyone else have this problem with a newer release?

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    I bought the dvd archive 5 or 10 years ago and was disappointed at the quality of the scans. The images were so highly compressed they were useless. Anyone else have this problem with a newer release?
    Mine is two years old. The scans are decent, but the search function is beyond awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    I was a devote to FWW for many years but even then I saw the "recycled" content. After many years I couldn't pick up a monthly that wasn't a rehash of one that came out 18 months previously and I lost the interest/need to subscribe. Buy the archive 1975 to 2018 and be done with it. And satisfied! It was a great publication that was integral to my growth in this activity but there comes a time when the student outgrows the master. Our craft is not sorcery and there comes a time when you can and need to march to the beat of your own drum.
    Over my lifetime, I've subscribed to a variety of "activity" magazines - hunting, fishing, golf, cycling, and more recently woodworking. My experience with all of these has been that after 2 or 3 years, they seem stale. I'm relatively new to woodworking, and the magazines still seem fresh, but I imagine that will change at some point. But, I do think that woodworking, though it's not sorcery, is a bit broader/more complex than some of these other activities, and I expect that the magazines will hold my interest longer. I suppose I could just buy the archives, but I suspect I'd never sit down and read through an entire issue as I do with the hard copy magazines that show up in the mail, and would probably miss out on some good stuff as a result.

Blog Entries
    I like to sit on the couch and watch tv with SWMBO and if the subject matter leaves me cold, I will pick up an old issue of a magazine and read it. You can't do that online.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I ordered it and lowered the relative shipping cost by adding more items to my order.

JKJ
    When my Wife comes back from shopping, I always ask her how much money she "saved".

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    When my Wife comes back from shopping, I always ask her how much money she "saved".
    Wow, I wish my wife would learn to spend money so I won't feel so bad. I can't even talk her into getting a new car. She's currently saving up in case I want to expend my shop. What a burden I have... !

JKJ

I have the 1975 - 2017 FWW Archive edition. So far not happy with it. Slowly looking/reading through it when I have the time. So far, to about 1979/80. I find the "search" is useless and the scans leave a great to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    I have the 1975 - 2017 FWW Archive edition. So far not happy with it. Slowly looking/reading through it when I have the time. So far, to about 1979/80. I find the "search" is useless and the scans leave a great to be desired.
    My version is a little older, but I have had no problem with its search or the results the search brings up. What problems do you and others have? You can choose how the search is done (eg limited to methods od work).

The scans also look good on my screen, as good as PW and others, and much better than WOODWORK.
    Are you viewing yours on a tablet?

Simon

First: I am not that computer savvy.

I loaded the Archive in on a HP PC -- Windows 7 professional -- with "viewable" screen size 12X 20".

Maybe I am not using the correct "key words" but it seems to take an inordinate amount of time to get results on a search and I find that the font/pictures are not as clear as I would like, so seems as if I am constantly adjusting the -/+ image/page size.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 02-15-2019 at 3:28 AM.