Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: My sister in law came up with the perfect response for social media

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    N.E. Ohio
    Posts
    5,478

    My sister in law came up with the perfect response for social media

    "I guess I would have to take the time to research, read, and understand how this all came about and why. But that would require me to care so...."

    God bless her!

    I've saved this on my desk top so I just have to copy and paste it.
    My life has become so much easier now,,,I owe her a lot!!

    ;D
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Frankfort, KY
    Posts
    150
    Bazinga! Excellent.
    It's called golf because all the other 4-letter words were taken

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Medina Ohio
    Posts
    3,567
    What is this thing social media.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Posts
    797
    It's not a good thing. Daughter is a teacher and says it's ruining things in class room and it's making it very difficult to teach. It is a total distraction from the real world with increasingly disasterous results. It has been designed to be addictive. Just my two cents worth.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

  5. #5
    One of my sisters in law is a high school administrator. Their school has blocked all cell phone access in the building. Emergency calls must be routed through the school's phone number. This is the only way I can see of preventing social media distractions.
    Dave Anderson
    Chester Toolworks LLC
    Chester, NH

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    West Lafayette, IN
    Posts
    4,768
    That’s a great idea Dave. That should be instituted nationwide.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    N.E. Ohio
    Posts
    5,478
    One local school system uses cell phone alerts to inform students when a fire alarm is the real thing and not a fake.
    I guess the newest fad going around in schools is turning in a false fire alarm/pulling the fire alarm.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    E TN, near Knoxville
    Posts
    7,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    One local school system uses cell phone alerts to inform students when a fire alarm is the real thing and not a fake.
    I guess the newest fad going around in schools is turning in a false fire alarm/pulling the fire alarm.
    A announcement over the PA system would be sufficient.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Crozet, VA
    Posts
    167
    Wait ... isn’t SMC considered social media ?!? Or not?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    E TN, near Knoxville
    Posts
    7,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Wait ... isn’t SMC considered social media ?!? Or not?
    I know why, but I guess I would have to take the time to research, read, and understand how this all came about.

    JKJ

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Modesto, CA, USA
    Posts
    2,259
    Cell Phone blockers are not legal in the USA. i believe Canada allows them.
    Bill D

  12. Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    One of my sisters in law is a high school administrator. Their school has blocked all cell phone access in the building. Emergency calls must be routed through the school's phone number. This is the only way I can see of preventing social media distractions.

    It's not legal to block cell phones no matter how noble the cause, but that school is not the only place doing it, & as long as they don't get caught it can continue. Not that I would report anyone for doing it, but I look at reporting people as Nazi/Communist behavior, with a few exceptions like drunk drivers.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    19,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Wait ... isn’t SMC considered social media ?!? Or not?
    It is. I bad mouth social media while being completely aware that I participate in a narrow-focus version of it almost daily.
    She said “How many woodworking tools do you need?”
    I said “Why? Do you know someone who is selling some?”


  14. Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Wait ... isn’t SMC considered social media ?!? Or not?
    Naah! Most of us are anti-social. Some are actively surly. Present company excepted, of course.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

  15. Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    It's not legal to block cell phones no matter how noble the cause, but that school is not the only place doing it, & as long as they don't get caught it can continue. Not that I would report anyone for doing it, but I look at reporting people as Nazi/Communist behavior, with a few exceptions like drunk drivers.
    And some would see not reporting as gang/mob/mafia behavior, wonder which is worse?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •