Thread: Auriou Rasps

Auriou Rasps

Hi All, I just received 2 Auriou rasps from LN.
    6" modelers and 6" rat tail.
    The rat tail is not straight with the handle and it is buried in so the stitching goes into the handle , the modelers has uneven stitching near the tip in places, not random but spots where the stitch is lighter than the rest.
    Anyone have these and is this normal?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John Skibo View Post
    The rat tail is not straight with the handle and it is buried in so the stitching goes into the handle , the modelers has uneven stitching near the tip in places, not random but spots where the stitch is lighter than the rest.
    Thanks
    I only have one but it’s perfect. Definitely call LN and speak with them. In future I’d get with Noel at Liogier and give one of his a try.

I have a number of Auriou rasps and rifflers I bought 4 or more years ago and all of them are pretty flawlessly stitched.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    My two were bought years ago from LN. They have even stitching.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I have an Auriou 10 that does a nice job. I don`t use it much. I don`t remember how I got it.

Old dogs tend to be forgetful you know.

Blog Entries
    They are hand-stitched, so some unevenness is not abnormal- in fact, it's the slightly varied pattern that makes them cut smooth and not leave a pattern in the finish. Of course there are limits to what is normal and what is a flaw, so we would need to see pics.

As as for the rat tail, the handle should be straight. It's not a huge concern that the stitching goes all the way to the handle, except that's not how the pictured ones are. Either the stitcher got carried away, or the handle is too big. Given the angled fit, I'm wondering if the handle is for a larger rasp and doesn't fit your rasp.

I agree with Malcolm. I have five Auriou rasps. Some variability in the stitching is not only normal - it is desirable. The pseudo-random location of the teeth means that you won't get any long tracks left by teeth in a straight line...

So, my feeling is that the proof is in the pudding. Try out the rasp. If it performs well, keep it. And I've never met an Auriou that didn't perform well.

20190212_141333.jpg20190212_141223.jpg
    There are a couple of spots that are lightly stitched , I wasn't concerned about the random patterns.

The rat tail is evenly stitched but randomly, the only question about it was it being buried in the handle.

I will say they do CUT not rip and tear like what I experienced with any rasp I ever used.
    The handles are perfect for my large hands .
    Thanks for commenting.

Blog Entries
    The stitching doesn't look terribly bad on the one rasp.

The round one looks like it may have been shoved to deep into the handle. If the handle can be knocked off you may be able to glue a dowel in the mortise and start over.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    That rasp does look borderline to me. There are always variances in stitching, but that one looks right at the verge of what should be rejected. I want to add, in defense of Auriou, I could easily see where it would be missed in a quality inspection. I read an article a while back that they were having trouble keeping up with quotas when their rasps became popular. They had to train new people to do the stitching, which I'm sure isn't an easy task.

The rat tail certainly doesn't look set right into the handle. I am not sure if it takes a smaller handle than the other sizes or not. Check with LN. I am sure they would replace them for you.

They are $20 to $30 cheaper at LN than other places I thought that might be why, First time dealing with LN.
    Thanks for your input

Blog Entries
    I don't think that is the case.

I have a LN Auriou rat tail and there is about 1/2" of space before the teeth begin. That area has 'Auriou' stamped on it.

Call them, get a replacement. LN is easy to deal with, very understanding and very helpful.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by John Skibo View Post
    Thanks
    Have you looked into Corradi Gold rasps? It seems like the consistency of the stitching is something you're looking for.

https://www.corradishop.com/index.ph...age=page&id=26