Thread: Light Spots after Applying Waterlox Question

Light Spots after Applying Waterlox Question

I cut down a old mango wood Crate and Barrel coffee table and rebuilt a bench and end table. The finishing was fine until I added the first coat of Waterlox Original. Then just like invisible ink these light spots appeared on the wood. I do not know of any product used containing silicone. Any ideas at what caused this would be helpful. Any advice on how to prevent it would also be appreciated.

In the one picture of the leg it looks like it penetrated the wood as if it bleed through on the adjacent side. There were no issues in its original form of a coffee table. The finish formula is as follows:
    Sand to 180
    Spray Seal coat of de-waxed shellac
    1 spray coat of Transtint Honey Amber in DNA
    2 coats General Finishes oil based spiced walnut stain
    1 coat Waterlox Original

I am going to sand it down and start over on those parts. Would adding another coat of de-waxed shellac before the Waterlox seal in the color?

IMG_5031.jpg

IMG_5030.jpg

IMg_5029.jpg

IMG_5028.jpg

Thanks

John

Wow that’s very strange. I’m shocked it didn’t show up when you applied the walnut stain. My only thought is - if those spots weren’t there after the stain / before the Waterlox, I feel like something got on it. At least on pic 1 which almost looks like a glue spot. The others almost look natural? No clue. Interested to see what the others think.

I too wondered why it didn’t show up after the stain. The different patterns of the light spots is curious too. The fact that it is a relatively unknown species makes me wonder if this is natural.
    Last edited by John Goodin; 02-12-2019 at 10:38 AM.

The first and last photos look like glue spots but the others don't, and that should have shown up much earlier in the process if it was. So I'm wondering how long you let the stain dry before applying the Waterlox. It's not unusual to have to let OB stains dry at least 48 hours, or longer, before applying a wiping varnish to avoid lifting the stain back off. Usually, that problem shows up as a muddy mess, however, not like what your photos show, so I guess I've got nothing. Sorry.

John

Spraying a coat of dewaxed shellac over the stain after it has dried won't hurt anything and might fix the problem whatever it is.

Thanks John
    I went out of town for three days between oil stain and waterlox. All total I think it was five. I think I will go the shellac after oil stain route and see what happens.