Thread: Hillman Screws

Hillman Screws

What's up with these sorry screws? I was putting the finishing touches on an expensive project and was using Hillman #8 X 1 1/2" screws to secure the bottom. Holes were pre-drilled and countersunk with the appropriate CS bit. Out of 12 screws, 5 broke as they started to bite into the wood. No torque or anything. Dang near ruined the bottom trying to remove it to get the embedded screws out. Now I will have to drill around the screws with a plug cutter to remove and plug the hole and re-drill.
    Next time I'm at the big blue box store, they will get an ear full. I'm even tempted to call and/or write the company about this. There is no sense carrying sorry offshore screws to save a few pennies. It would be different if the price reflected the product, but they charge as much or more for that trash. I learned my lesson and will not buy their sorry trash again.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I hear you. I tossed all generic and other screws and I now only use GRK screws. I've never snapped one in more than 5 years.

I avoid some countries of manufacture, and packaging for fasteners.

I've been using WoodPro wood screws, based on a recommendation. They've worked quite well for me. Good luck with the repairs.

Anytime my wife brings home some 'cute' thing that needs assembly, I start by throwing away the screws and using mine.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Anytime my wife brings home some 'cute' thing that needs assembly, I start by throwing away the screws and using mine.
    Same here. Cheap screws seem to end up being the most costly.

Next time I'm at the big blue box store
    That sums up the entire problem right there.
    The Big Blue Box store has become synonymous with "let the buyer beware since we are in constant search of the cheapest lowest quality price point - as witness by our recent acquisition of the Craftsman brand...".

Think of Big Blue as a Harbor Freight - with drywall and wood-like materials..
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

There have been many discussions about screws for woodworking over the years. While each of us has certain preferences for type (I prefer square drive, for example), there's little dissension around the idea that quality is worth the money. It's a rare day that I'll buy screws from a "big box" store and when I do, it's pretty much only the heftier "deck" type screws and more than likely, I'm using them for "home improvement" type tasks rather than "fine woodworking". All of my general woodworking screws come from McFeely's and I've been satisfied with the product. There are other similar sources depending on one's preferences as well as known premium brands, such as the GRK already mentioned.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Holo-Khrome fasteners are highly regarded on the metal working site I visit. I just inherited my mothers stock portfolio and she owned Fastenal stock. I had no idea. How are their fasteners?
    Bil lD.

https://www.holo-krome.com/

Well I'm out of the woods, so to speak. Ended up buying GRK's for the project. Went out to the shop early this morning and using a 1/4" plug cutter, was able to neatly remove all 5 screws. Cut 3/8" plugs out of leftover material, plugged, and waited. Everything went well. As I mentioned before, "I learned my lesson" on screws. Don't scrimp to save money. In the long run I'll bite you every time.
    Thanks fellas for all the input and direction to go.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Guess I got lucky. I've used screws by Hillman at least twice w/o any problems, brass no less.

John

I have also had similar problems with the big orange box screws. I don't buy screws from either box store unless I have no other choice, or time is a factor. I like McFeely's and buy either square drive or torx.

Wayne