Thread: Ever Seen This?

Ever Seen This?

Hello fellow engravers. I've been using Thermark for about 10 years now. I did a sample piece of solid brass (C260 Cartridge Brass) about 5 years ago and then put it outside in the weather to see how it would do. After the five years I decided to clean one portion of the brass with a vinegar, salt and flour solution. Basically you just apply it, let it set for and hour then rinse off. Well it did a good job as you can see from the photo attached but the only issue is the Thermark came off as well. When I put it out there 5 years ago the Thermark was bonded. I believe it bonded because I used a metal polish (Mothers) to polish it afterwards. Can you guys take a look and give me your feedback on what you think might have caused the Thermark to come off?

Thank you for any feedback.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mike wallis; 02-11-2019 at 8:45 PM.

Just a theory here; the tarnish is a form of corrosion, and I don't believe Cermark to be impermeable to water, air and such, so while it bonded with the brass in the beginning, the layer of tarnish, like rust does with paint, compromised the bond.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Maybe after 5 years the weather had something to do with breaking down the bond, Sun, cold, acid rain. Who knows what else.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Just a theory here; the tarnish is a form of corrosion, and I don't believe Cermark to be impermeable to water, air and such, so while it bonded with the brass in the beginning, the layer of tarnish, like rust does with paint, compromised the bond.
    Thanks for the feedback Bert and Kev. I believe your right. Although it's bonded initially to the metal, Thermark is not a sealed product which means corrosion can get through to the metal it's bonded to. I'm guessing that the only solution is to seal the brass with a clear coat.

I think I know the answer to this but is there a possible thermal marking material like Thermark that holds up better to corrosion?
    Last edited by mike wallis; 02-12-2019 at 2:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    You are bonded to the brass that corroded. So the lettering came off as corrosion. 5 years, decent time in the weather for something like cermark on brass. Heck I can't get 5 minutes in my trials.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Everything wears out-- I've seen many a car and boat who's paint & gelcoat looks like crap after 5 years - And honestly, until you gave the metal an acid bath, the Cermark STILL looked good!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle