Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Titebond III worth it, and can it be your only wood glue?

Blog Entries
    I use type II mostly & buy it in gallon jugs. I have had to throw the last bit out a couple of times, but 1 gallon is about the same price as 1/2 a gallon purchased in the smaller bottles. If stored in a cool, dark temperature stable spot it will last a lot more than a year. I've had it last over 3 years & not go bad.

Blog Entries
    Interesting that this has spawned so much conversation. What a great thread. Obviously there are other forms of glue but, you were asking about TB-III. You found the fundamental data that properly used, PVA is stronger than the wood itself. After the adhesive qualities things become more subjective with woodworkers often favoring different glues for the same task for different reasons.

As to trying to save money on glue, I will use just a portion of a 16 oz bottle making something like a chest of drawers or a hutch. That is, I have no need to have a gallon of glue on hand at any given time. Your ease of access to the product you prefer or your environmental situation may effect that choice.

After having tossed excess glue in larger containers due to separation failure (the glue would not re-emulsify) I just started buying 16 or 32 oz bottles, whatever was handy or on sale at the time I was running low. I decant the glue into Glu-bots and/or a glue well depending on what I am doing and cannot remember the last time I had to throw glue out. Your consumption rate will alter your purchasing decisions but, I would start with 16 oz bottles and see how it goes.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-12-2019 at 9:48 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I use TB III in the shop because:
    -It has a slightly longer open time than TB II,
    -It blends better color wise with the woods that I use
    -I occasionally build pieces that require a certain amount of water resistance and I feel better about using TB III vs I or II. (I like things that make me feel good, even if it's allegedly hype )
    -I only need one type of PVA glue in the shop
    -It still works well down to about 45 degrees.

There may be better adhesives for any/all of the above but TB III covers these bases pretty well and I buy and use between 2 and 3 gal/yr. I have tested every glue I've used by building a cabinet door frame, sans panel, using both alder and hickory, two of my most commonly used woods. After a couple days I tweak the door diagonally until failure. For every one I've tested the wood has failed before the joint, usually with a long shard of long grain still glued to end grain. I've performed these tests all within the last 3 yrs using TB I, II and III.

While TB III is the only PVA glue I have in my shop I also regularly use CA, epoxy and polyurethane depending on application.

These are materials and techniques that work for me, in my shop. YMMV, as it invariably does, depending on your techniques, materials used and intended purpose. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Mine comes down to simplicity. I never know if im going to be gluing up a quick end grain board, countertop, indoor furniture, or outdoor furniture. I keep west systems epoxy on hand for when i need bulletproof exterior resistance. The rest of the time i buy III by the gallon. I use 4-5 gallons of TB III a year. I have noticed some creep on the walnut arms of my morris chair, but the sapele chair next to it doesnt have the same creep issues. Other than that, it has performed well indoors and outdoors. I have two adirondack chairs that get the snot beat out of them by snow, sun, and rain, and those were put together with TB III. I did read that TB I is actually stronger on indoor applications than TB III, but i like having one glue on hand that covers all my bases well.
    You should not assume epoxy is a bullet proof solution for all exterior applications. I thought so, too, until someone on another forum pointed out that most epoxies lose significant strength at high temperature. West Systems data shows this to be true. I'm not saying failure will be an automatic consequence, only that applications where temperature is a concern require careful consideration of which glue will work best. For gluing up exterior doors I'm still using epoxy, but I'm looking for a better alternative that still has such long open time and user friendly properties.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rakestraw View Post
    I like regular Titebond because it washes out of my pants, which is where I wipe my finger after spreading the glue
    So that is where that stain on my pants came from....
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I use II rather than III, and occasional hide glue. There are subtle differences.

I also veneer with II and haven’t experience creep with shop dawn veneers. I spoke to Franklin prior to using it, they said it would work fine and it has. I make boxes and panels and have the ability to check in on them routinely. I started this routine after running out of cold press glue and found that I liked II better than cold press glue. I’ve had considerably fewer issues with II than other veneer glues.

One problem is that I cannot actually consume enough glue to make it worthwhile to maintain so many glues.

I have used plenty of Old Brown Glue, it’s great for certain things but I’m less than impressed overall. It’s brittle and so it makes noise in stained connections. I may continue to use it for special cases but not for general use.

In theory you can dissassemble a joint made with hide glue, but a joint with sufficient surface area and little access to that surface area is going to be very difficult to take apart.
    Brian, I've had at least 2 seam failures with PVA cold press glues on shop sawn veneer laminated to BB plywood. Both were with Better Bond and both were with 1/16" rift sawn white oak. When I talked with Joe Woodworker about it he told me that it was not recommended for 1/16" shop sawn veneer. At that time, there was no mention of that potential problem on his website; I believe there now is. After those reputation damaging incidents I switched to Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue or epoxy and have had no repeats. Perhaps Titebond works better than Better Bond on shop sawn veneer, or perhaps your veneer is substantially thinner than 1/16". I'm happy you've had no problems, but my experience suggests PVA glues are not reliable enough for my needs.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    I would recommend dating your glue bottles.
    This is when your lifestyle leads to desperation.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    So why has no one considered Titebond Liquid Hide Glue?! It is the glue I use with all furniture joints - it is has the longest open time of all the glues mentioned, is reversible, does not stain the wood, and cleans up with water. Importantly, it is reversible - have you never screwed up a joint, or needed to repair one?

Derek
    I use old brown glue...only tried LHG a couple of times, and did not see any difference from OBG. They are more expensive than PVA, and so I use them sparingly for complex glue-ups.
    Simon

Titebond Original is the glue I have used for almost 30 years without any issues. However, a project might call for a different glue. Projects that will see high humidity or water will require two-part epoxy or Titbond III. If a long open time is needed, I like to use Titebond Extend and if I need very long open time, I'll use liquid hide glue. I have never used a vacuum press, but I read that Urea Formaldehyde or Resorcinol are the glues of choice.

Also, I'm of the belief that if you are building an heirloom piece that is to last generations, hide glue should be used for joints that could fail from strain and age to allow for proper future repairs.

By the way, I really dislike Titebond III because it can't be washed out of clothing.

Another special glue requirement is gap-filling needs which favor epoxy and UF and then there's melamine which I like to use Roo [melamine] glue, incredible stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Yep, take some PVA, make it yellow instead of white, change the viscocity as needed and market the hell out of it.....don't call me cynical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    This thread shows one thing clearly: the power of marketing...that drives many to choose TB III over TB II or I. How many of you who default to TB III really use it because of its water resistance? What were building that needed to be water resistant?

For Pete's sake, how many you have experienced a joint failure because TB III was not used? Close to zero, I would say.

I have used almost all brands of PVA glues as well as white glue, old brown glue and more, and my conclusion is it does not matter as long as your joint is properly cut, glue fresh (no sour smell), and glue-up done and set in room temp.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    Your cynicism is fair, if there really is no difference of note between the glues. But the differences in open and assembly time and chalk temperature are real, and make a difference in my shop at least. The difference in price is also real, but for most non-production woodworkers, irrelevant on most projects. If I'm not doing something very glue intensive (like glued bent laminations, e.g.) a quart of PVA glue will last me 6 months or more of every weeked shop work. Titebond III costs $4 or $5 more per quart than Titebond II or Original. It's literally a rounding error in my materials cost over a 6 month period - the equivalent of a board foot of very ordinary hardwood.
    It's a rounding error for you but in % terms, it's much more than that for Franklin.

Just to join the cynics for moment - Imagine the CEO of Franklin needs to juice the bottom line in some way with little or no increase in costs. So he/she makes some non-material change to the formulation of any of their PVA glues, maybe just the color, and calls it TB IV Extreme or Super-Ultimate. Charge about 20% more for it, only a few bucks per gallon. Would the power of marketing make people automatically buy it? Because II has got to be better than I, thus III must be better than II so of course......

Just making a hypothetical point about marketing, not meaning to paint the CEO of Franklin as nefarious. And I'm not disputing that there are differences in the characteristics of some of these glues. But it's always a valid question for the consumer to ask "better in what way, and better for whom"?
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 02-12-2019 at 12:20 PM.

The main issue is its perfectly fine to use a single glue by default if your work is somewhat standardized and your default glue fits your standardized workflow whether it be hobby or full time shop. The point is if you default to TBIII, or any glue for that matter, and do varied work, your going to wind up getting bit and buying back a job (i.e. having to re-make an entire job for yourself or someone else for free, give the customer their money back, or defend yourself in a lawsuit) because of complacency. Run TBIII on a job where creep or any other number of standard failures for that glue bites you in the butt... and your sunk. Just as stated with epoxy for exterior work coupled with heat, or TBIII coupled with heat, is a guaranteed failure. I dont care what anyone says about PVA and creep. They will all creep at some point. It most certainly comes down to a perfectly fitted joint, with perfectly selected material, will show less problems. But we all operate in the real world. And when it rears its head (TBIII) it will never be at an opportune time.

I understand fully the generic question is for a hobby level shop that does fairly average work, do they need to inventory 19 different glue types. The answer is no. Straight titebond (original) would be the default for day in and day out work. Maybe TBII if you are willing to lose a little bit of strength (marginally measurable). And you bring in the exterior/water resistant glue of choice as needed based on the project. We cant keep PU glue in the shop (gorilla glue). A brand new bottle will be deader than a hammer in a month or two unopened. An open bottle, days or a week or two and its in the trash. You bring in what you need for the job, if there is any left it may go on the shelf, it may go in the trash.

We buy TB original in gallons and super in pails. Gallons we squeeze all the air out when filling bench bottles and put the cap on. Pails if we will be slow for a while we will push some poly paint masking film down in the bucket to keep the air off the top so it doesnt skin but thats rare.

Assembling cabinet doors with TBIII and cope and stick joints telegraphing through a pigmented finish is the dead indicator that its not a great glue for all applications. Some creep in a cutting board, meh.. still sucks but..., glue line movement/failure, finish failure, with TBIII means it will never be in my shop. Too many better alternatives. Sure would be nice to have a single go-to but I can break TBIII joints far too easy that are much stronger with Original. Now glue up a couple scraps and toss them outside for a couple weeks in the rain, snow, sun.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 02-12-2019 at 3:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Brian, I've had at least 2 seam failures with PVA cold press glues on shop sawn veneer laminated to BB plywood. Both were with Better Bond and both were with 1/16" rift sawn white oak. When I talked with Joe Woodworker about it he told me that it was not recommended for 1/16" shop sawn veneer. At that time, there was no mention of that potential problem on his website; I believe there now is. After those reputation damaging incidents I switched to Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue or epoxy and have had no repeats. Perhaps Titebond works better than Better Bond on shop sawn veneer, or perhaps your veneer is substantially thinner than 1/16". I'm happy you've had no problems, but my experience suggests PVA glues are not reliable enough for my needs.

John
    Thats been the case, I find Titebond II pretty reliable. I’ve had the occasional partial delamination (lifted corners) In stressed situations where they were pulled back in an assembly, but I blame myself for that rather than the glue. Outside of that I haven’t experienced massive failures. It’s stronger than pva cold press glue. Franklin told me that PVA cold press was formulated to minimize bleed through, rather than maximize bond strength. I’m rarely veneering anything thin enough to concern myself with bleed through.

I walked through the kitchen I made last year using mainly titebond II and III to glue panels, all doing fine so far and so now I’ve seen a full year’s humidity swing on them. Those veneers were all left at .110”thickness.

I saw your comments in prior threads about that with shop sawn veneers and so I wanted to move onto something other than better bond, but actually I had no trouble with that either.

I have had entire sheets delaminate with woodweld, and by that point I had already a few years of veneering experience and had been vacuum pressing for a few years at least. I may try unibond still for a harder bond, but I’ve not had much reason to change.

Mainly I laminate quartersawn material.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 02-12-2019 at 2:01 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    So why has no one considered Titebond Liquid Hide Glue?! It is the glue I use with all furniture joints - it is has the longest open time of all the glues mentioned, is reversible, does not stain the wood, and cleans up with water. Importantly, it is reversible - have you never screwed up a joint, or needed to repair one? If I need a glue for use in humid (not wet) areas, such as a kitchen, then I use Titebond III. It is not waterproof. If you want waterproof, use a two-pack epoxy.
    I'm with Derek on this. Hide glue rocks. On fine furniture it's the way to go, unless you need something for its properties associated with water, in which case I use TB II as the default (I don't know why, I just always have.) Sometimes you don't even need that, such as with some interlocking joints, or draw-bored M&T. The ultimate in repairability! Take that, you guys who get comebacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    The main issue is its perfectly fine to use a single glue by default if your work is someone standardized and your default glue fits your standardized workflow whether it be hobby or full time shop. The point is if you default to TBIII, or any glue for that matter, and do varied work, your going to wind up getting bit and buying back a job (i.e. having to re-make an entire job for yourself or someone else for free, give the customer their money back, or defend yourself in a lawsuit) because of complacency. Run TBIII on a job where creep or any other number of standard failures for that glue bites you in the butt... and your sunk. Just as stated with epoxy for exterior work coupled with heat, or TBIII coupled with heat, is a guaranteed failure. I dont care what anyone says about PVA and creep. They will all creep at some point. It most certainly comes down to a perfectly fitted joint, with perfectly selected material, will show less problems. But we all operate in the real world. And when it rears its head (TBIII) it will never be at an opportune time.
    If you get comebacks (or are concerned about them,) why aren't you using hide glue?
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 02-12-2019 at 2:08 PM.