Thread: Glue

Glue

I just came in from the garage/shop,,passing through after taking garbage out,, and noticed my bottle of glue sitting on a bench at the back of the shop. It's a large bottle of Lee Valley cabinetmakers glue that I bought back in 2006-2007 about 1/4 full. It's been out there all winter and probably frozen. Happens every year. I do have a smaller bottle I bought last year in my basement shop. Usually when planning a project for indoors I buy new glue. But I will grab the old stuff instead of running to the store.
    I keep using the old bottle for odd projects and have never had a problem. I do have some deck reconstruction planned that will require lengthening stringers/joists using glue and screws.

Should I be concerned about this old glue's reliability after all these years of freezing and thawing?

Ed

It's not going to have much impact on your deck project because that's not glue intended to be used for exterior applications. That said, given the age of the flue and the freezing cycle, it probably makes sense to replace it...mostly because of the former, IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    By your post your glue is 12-13 years old. Would you want to risk a joint failure for about $16 worth of glue. I would recommend buying smaller sized containers every 2-3 years and being sure your glue is going to be fairly fresh.