Thread: Triton TRA001 Router w/ Woodpeckers router plate vs. Router and lift?

Triton TRA001 Router w/ Woodpeckers router plate vs. Router and lift?

I’ve been looking to get a good router setup and I always liked that the Triton TRA001 was designed to be used in a table. I was thinking about buying the Woodpeckers aluminum router plate that is already drilled for the Triton TRA001. The cost would be much less than a lift and router motor. I’ve searched this site and all the info I’ve found on the Triton routers is several years old so I thought I’d see if I could get some current thought on this router.

I have an older PC router that’s 2-1/4hp from what I can find online since it doesn’t say anywhere and I don’t remember the exact model number since I don’t have it in front of me. Anyway would using this 2-1/4hp router with a JessEm Rout-R-lift II be better than buying a plate for $125 and then the router for $280. The JessEm router lift is on Amazon for $150. I just wasn’t sure if a 2-1/4 would be enough for some of the big panel bits that I’ve been trying to collect to build cabinets and anything else that may come up.

Sorry if I rambled just trying to give as much info as I can.

Cannot speak to the Triton router, but since you mention getting big router bits for panels, I will make a couple suggestions.

Whatever router you use with the big bits, it should be variable speed. The big bits have speed limits for a reason. Most using big bits run a 3 1/4 HP variable speed router, which has a larger circumference than the PC you mentioned.

I actually built a raised panel kitchen using a benchtop router table and a PC 690 single speed 20+ years ago. I did it safely by setting the fence up at the final position, then using 1/4" and 1/8" hardboard spacers simply clamped to the fence. Make a pass on all panels, pull a spacer, repeat, with the last pass only being a 1/8" cut.

I still do that with the large, variable speed router with lift, just less spacers. Safer and easier on the bits.

The moral of my story is that it is possible to get good results from a less than optimum setup. You just need to adapt to your situation.

The lifts are really nice, but for your suggested use, you can go either way.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 02-11-2019 at 6:37 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Justin - I have exactly this setup with the Triton hanging below a Woodpecker aluminum plate. You are spot-on right - you get a tabletop-adjustable router with a significant cost savings over a lift. The tradeoff is that the router height adjustment isn't as precise or incremental as a true lift. But in five years, it has done everything I need from it.

TedP

I recently bought the 2 1/4 HP router. I haven't used it a lot, but it's been great before. I was thinking about doing the same thing as you to replace a poor router table set I have right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Phillips View Post
    Justin - I have exactly this setup with the Triton hanging below a Woodpecker aluminum plate. You are spot-on right - you get a tabletop-adjustable router with a significant cost savings over a lift. The tradeoff is that the router height adjustment isn't as precise or incremental as a true lift. But in five years, it has done everything I need from it.

TedP
    thats what I wanted to hear. I actually already bought the woodpecker plate off amazon, received it yesterday. I was about to get on and order the router when I saw the JessEm Rout-R-Lift 2 on there for $150 and it got me second guessing my decision. I read a few reviews that weren’t that great about the Triton router and just wanted some feedback. Thank you all for the feedback. I’m going to get the router ordered.