Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
>>If you only had it on 50 to start and had an item with a diameter of 200, you would get that error because the controller would think it would run out of space. The controller only thinks in terms of a finite flat plane, not in terms of an unlimited rotation.
OK, I sort of understand what you are saying but let me clarify with my understanding of what is going on here.

When you power up the laser it appears to run a homing routine where the x and y axis go to their respective 0 positions until the limit switches are triggered. The head then moves to the "origin" point you have selected. Since the rotary axis doesn't have a limit switch it seems to sit there and spin for a while (maybe 30 seconds) until it hits some sort of software limit and assumes that this is the zero position. Then the rotary axis spins to the origin point along with the laser head on the x axis. If my origin point was say, 100x, 100y, wouldn't that be OK? The machine would think it had an area 600x400 to play with. Or are you saying that the rotary axis needs the ability to rotate both the plus and minus direction equal to the length of the cut?

Looking back now I think maybe I hit the origin button at some point in the process. I have no idea where the y-axis was at that point so it very well could have been at a point > 300y and thus triggered the error.

I have seen some videos on line where they push the gantry all the way back during the homing routine at startup to fool the machine into thinking the y-axis is at zero. I haven't done this yet but I think maybe I'll try that next time.

Let me run this scenario past you for how to configure the rotary axis......

1. Before attaching the rotary axis, move the head to some low position (say 50x, 50y) and hit the origin button.
2. Shut down and attach the rotary axis.
3. Turn on machine and wait for the x-axis to zero, then push the gantry all the way back to set the y-axis zero point.
4. Let the machine go to the origin point.

Wouldn't this work?