Thread: Help to Identify a Spokeshave

Help to Identify a Spokeshave

I Bought this spoke shave at a flea market. The blade is a Stanley blade but the body has no markings at all. I cleaned it up when I got it but I do not think it was every painted and I have left it unpainted. Just curious if anyone might know what brand or model it may be.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kyle,

There may be others who did exactly the same thing as I did. I went to sites to look for Stanley spoke shaves that matched that one, as I know I have seen such. I spent quite a while looking but with no luck. My guess others have done the same thing. Someone will probably find it, and thus you will know the answer. Don't be discouraged, I know I have seen that model, I just don't know where. It isn't like finding a particular plane, there are too many similar spoke shaves, so they are harder to find.

Stew

Kyle,
    I can see the difficulty in placing this spokeshave. The loop handles are most unusual in Stanley. The logo on the blade (replacement ?) dates back to very early 1900's. The blade cap is the shape of an early Bailey spokeshave. Even if its not all original parts it was probably put together over a 100 years ago. Would it be worthwhile sending pictures to Thomas Lamond- he wrote thhe book?
    Bill

Likely a Frankenshave: Stanley cutting iron on someone else's shave.

Blog Entries
    A screw thread gauge could eliminate Stanley. If they are common threads, then it isn't likely a Stanley.

It could be one maker's body with another maker's cap and finally another maker's blade. That is about as Frankenshave as a spokeshave can be.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks for all the help. I will double check the screw size and pitch. I have looked at that before but I can't remember what it worked out to be. For now it is a Frakenshave!