Thread: Another what is it question

Another what is it question

This photo showed up today on a Facebook "old house forum" with the poster asking what the item on the right was for. There have been lots of guesses from swing out ashtray to toothbrush holder to storage for used razor blades to a holder for square tissues. Considering its location and construction can anyone tell its original inteded use? Notice that bump on top which appears to be clearance for a finger to pull something down or out.
    FB_IMG_1549915315925.jpg
    Last edited by Michael Weber; 02-11-2019 at 3:18 PM.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

"Take a ticket ?"

Okay I know you all have a burning desire to know what it is and someone finally posted this picture in the old house forum. Itsto hold an ashtray ashtray as shown. What appears to be a vertical bar is actually a partition that makes an area to hold a pack of cigarettes. Slot at the top holds a book of matches and the finger relief at the top is to make it easier to grasp the matches.FB_IMG_1549958891356.jpg
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Back when everyone smoked and didn’t know the consequences. Thanks for posting.

Taking a smoke while on the hopper. There a family in our neighborhood that has a TV in the bathroom. I am surprised the hopper doesn't recline.

I installed a tv in our bathroom at our old house. Was nice to lounge back in the tub and watch the game! At least until the water cooled down.

It was mainly used for watching sports center or the news in the morning while getting ready - mainly for my wife.