Thread: Fume Extractor: Bofa Advantage 500 IQ vs. Quatro Air 600 or 800

Fume Extractor: Bofa Advantage 500 IQ vs. Quatro Air 600 or 800

Looking for an internal fume extractor system and have it narrowed down to the Bofa and Quatro Air. Any experience on either one and pros/cons of each? Specifically the effectiveness of removing fumes from a machine the size of an Epilog Helix or Trotec 300, longevity of filters and costs, etc.

TIA

Phil,

I can highly recommend the CSA-600 from Quatro Air. Absolutely do not buy a bofa or atmos system as you will burn money for replacement filters.

Quatro's units are a bit cheaper to buy and the filters are dirt cheap in comparison. As a bonus the Pre-Filter/Hepa/Carbon filter are all separate so when one needs replacement you never replace another as well that may still have lifespan. The Atmos and Bofa units both have a "combined" hepa/carbon filter.

We only use a bag pre-filter, the 2" hepa filter and the 17" carbon filter, since we're in New Zealand the filters are expensive to ship but still WAAAAY cheaper than anything we can find locally. Quatro sales reps also can give discounts for bulk orders.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the post, that's amazing. I've been looking a moving up from my DIY filter, and your post is exactly what I'm looking for. So does it use activated carbon you buy and poor in, or carbon filters? I do wood like cherry and maple and it's pretty gunky. I've always been skeptical of carbon filters over raw carbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nolt View Post
    Looking for an internal fume extractor system and have it narrowed down to the Bofa and Quatro Air. Any experience on either one and pros/cons of each? Specifically the effectiveness of removing fumes from a machine the size of an Epilog Helix or Trotec 300, longevity of filters and costs, etc.

TIA
    Hi Phil,

Do you specifically have a Trotec 300? If you do, Trotec offers an Atmos Mono and Duo filteration system. It can communicate directly with the machine to auto turn which is very convenient. I don't recommend using a filter system unless it's absolutely required. Filtered system running cost that can be pricey depending on what is being processed. If you're cutting wood like mdf? You'll kill the filters quick. To put it in perspective, running 6hrs of 40min engraving/cut jobs on mdf wood you will be needing a new filter at the end of the day. (Filters cost $100's)

Exhaust is a huge element which people neglect, personally I'd tell people get the largest vacuum or blower possible, it results in better cutting and cleaner material.

Hi Nick, I'm in the finishing stages of building a custom diy co2 cutter, large bed 2' x 4', and mainly cut MDF, This would be used in a residential area, what would you suggest as you mentioned filters clogging fast when cutting MDF, and I also can't exhaust the fumes out as my neighbors live pretty close and would def smell it. I was thinking of perhaps scrubbing the fumes before exhausting them out but that may clog very fast as well with MDF ?

I'm afraid I have to take issue with Nick's recommendation to buy the largest blower possible. That is simply overkill, providing neither better cutting nor cleaner material. But it will suck out all your conditioned air from your room and raise your heating and cooling bills. You'll be better off determining the specific requirements for your application. I'm not saying not to allow a little fudge factor but not the largest thing you can find.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Same as Mike, something that sucks in passing children and pets is only going to work if you are getting the same amount of air in as you are pulling out. In residential premises....that's going to turn your house into a Fridge
    I did play with water mist to scrub smoke at one point, it worked pretty well but is quite pricey to set up
    You did what !

I was going to mention some sort of water mister but I see Dave already had.