Thread: Fraction Calculator

Fraction Calculator

Historically if I dealt with a complex set of fractional measurements that need be added or subtracted, I would crunch them into decimals and run them through the calculator. And then re-convert. Yes, not very bright.

Last week I stumbled upon an iPhone app that I really like. Fraction Calculator Plus. Here's a screenshot:

IMG_9D5730E9D32D-1.jpg

And yep, it's free.

T

Being on the older side, I usually just took paper and pencil and manually figured it out. Using this will be just another exercise in not using my brain. I of course will immediately download this app.

There's also an Android version in the Google Play Store (free). Called, you guessed it, Fraction Calculator.

As an Architect I've used the InchMate pro version for a 7 years, ever since it was released. Before then I used the InchMate calculators. None of these have been cheap, but man, they're invaluable!
    Last edited by Tim Einwalter; 02-11-2019 at 1:21 PM.

I prefer a physical calculator myself. Ive been using the Calculated Industries Measure Master Pro (LINK) for a few years now for doing these types of calcs and conversions between metric and imperial. I have a couple of their other calculators too. Very nice to have!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

It's also available for Android. I've been using it for years. A great tool for the shop.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Latham View Post
    Historically if I dealt with a complex set of fractional measurements that need be added or subtracted, I would crunch them into decimals and run them through the calculator. And then re-convert. Yes, not very bright.

Last week I stumbled upon an iPhone app that I really like. Fraction Calculator Plus. Here's a screenshot:

IMG_9D5730E9D32D-1.jpg

And yep, it's free.

T
    Do you know what the difference between the free version of Fraction Calculator Plus and the $.99 version is? Can't see any obvious difference in the descriptions. Most likely the free version would work just fine for me, but I was curious why there would be 2 versions from the same developer of the same App with no obvious differences.

8. I use the same one! The only downside is sometimes it comes up with really odd fractions (I got 19/41 the other da) which is easy enough to work with but I'd love the same format but rounds to wood working based fractions...

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    Do you know what the difference between the free version of Fraction Calculator Plus and the $.99 version is? Can't see any obvious difference in the descriptions. Most likely the free version would work just fine for me, but I was curious why there would be 2 versions from the same developer of the same App with no obvious differences.
    The pay version might be ad free.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    Its ad free. No ad banners at the top of the screen.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have used this app for several years, I love it! I am confident that it frequently saves me from making mathematical mistakes. Prior to this app, I can recall several instances where a simple fraction error caused me a lot of aggravation!

Calculated Industries construction master series of calculators since 1990 or so for me. Now I paid for the construction master app on my phone. Same exact calculator except now I do not lose it or step on it on jobsites.This does everything for construction,concrete volumes, area, and stairs,rafters. We also use the stair function to square foundations all the time.

What does math have to do with woodworking.
    I’ll answer nothing.
    Aj

What does math have to do with woodworking.
    I’ll answer nothing.

Math has to do with everything.