Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

11 Feb 2019

Greetings,
    This past week I started working on a kitchen island top for my daughter and son-in-law who are in the process of building their home. The LOML and I spent some time cleaning up the shop, organizing a bit, and then sorting through scrap wood laying around in the shop space. I'm looking really hard and getting a CNC Router setup to add to my shop space as the more I think about it, the more I could put one to good use. I'm still researching options but I'll need to do something in a few years when I retire and this could be an option that will help with a bit of monthly financial income.
    Spent some time with family this weekend and still going to the gym at least 3 times a week. Weight loss has stalled, so I'm working through that.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

My coffee station project is in the stage of receiving finish and having hardware attached. I may be able to meet my goal of having the project done by December, as long as I don't keep track of which year I was thinking.
    Chuck Taylor

We're helping our son and SO put a new kitchen in their mobile home. Have built cabinet carcases and drawers for the past 2 weekends. This weekend we torn out all the cabinets on 1 wall, moved some wiring and plumbing and installed the new cabinets with a temporary countertop and sink. That will make the kitchen usable again for the next phase. As soon as they make some decisions, I'll put together a cut list and we'll built carcases and drawers for the 2nd wall.

I picked up a 4000/8000 waterstone on Friday, so I was testing that out on a couple of chisels. Then I made up a board to hold my jointer knives and sharpened them up. After that, I put them back in. On the last knife, and just had it set to less the .001 when I go to tighten the nut when don't you know I grab the allen wrench instead of the hex wrench and totally screw it up. So, back to square one on that knife. Got it set up and there is quite a difference in the surface. (As there should be...)

Then I got the hinges and lock installed on Tantalus II. Everything is fitting together nicely, just have to fine tune the hinges a bit. The leaves are a bit thin, and the screws don't seat down quite right. May have to countersink the wood a bit to get them to fit better.

Sunday afternoon I helped some friends brew up some beer. Well, they did the work on the new batch, I helped by making room in the refrigerator.

travelled to Virginia for a week of work, not the most exciting weekend however the weather is warmer down here so I'm not complaining......Rod.

Dennis, I'm glad you are able to contribute that island top to your daughter and son-in-law's new home...it's going to look stellar in there!

A good part of the week was spent working out more efficient tool paths for the complex architectural appliqués I'm making for a client off the CNC. While I "burn time" doing this, I still consider it productive because of my newness to 3D modeling and working it on what is essentially a large project. I also quoted out an interesting "adult bunk bed" Twin XL over Queen XL project for another client who needs something for their shore home. Pretty much straight woodworking for that one and handcrafted instead of over-seas manufactured like the idea photos they provided to me. This week I"ll be cutting the hardest parts of the architectural project already mentioned...7 hour cutting times for each piece. The (8) smaller appliqués for the coffered ceiling are done. There will be about (20) smaller versions for on the window trim corner blocks that have been added onto the project. Oh, and while I'm hanging around the shop while things are machining, I'm working on completing the ceiling tiles on the NW side of the shop that I never got around to last year. And Dennis, this one job is covering about the equivalent of 10% of my original CNC machine cost....'just sayin...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm trying not to be a tool collector, instead, actually use them.
    Started by trying to use my chop saw to cut octagonal handles for a Moxon vice; ended up rethinking and decided to hand-cut using handsaws.
    Got a few bargains at the tool store, so I indulged - a Pax tenon saw, and a marking knife, and to top it off, a bench vice. Waiting for spring to re-jig my workbench and get back to bigger projects.
    Cleaned up to rust on a few old saws, and one 9TPI back saw got the handle rivets cut off (loose to the point of non -accuracy when cutting), installed new screw on nuts after re-jigging the handle & blade holes.
    Otherwise, just trying to keep calm when my 11 year old foster son acts up.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

When one furniture project comes to an end, I enjoy some time cleaning up and improving the shop before starting the next piece.

Don't you find that there is always a corner of the shop which becomes a bit of a dumping ground and where things pile up?

This is the area where my sharpening stuff begins, and then deteriorates as it merges with a "cabinet" that holds supplies and a wall of screws and stuff. An old stereo hanging on the wall - a dust trap. I really hated this area of the shop.

What follows is not fine furniture building!

A friend gave me a bunch of Tasmanian Oak veneered MDF boards ...

This is what emerged after the past weekend ...

Space for an old iPhone 5 feeding a Rotel amp into Tannoy speakers. Internet radio gets jazz from the USA, Canada, UK and Oz. Or my favourite MP3s.

And more storage ...

That looks better ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Looks nice Derek, I also try to fit one small "shop improvement" in between furniture projects.

I am in the process of designing a saw blade and shaper cutter storage cabinet, trying to organize the clutter and keep the tooling from getting damaged..........Rod.

That looks really great, Derek!!! (Be sure you add wxpn.org to your US-based listening services. Non-commercial, extraordinary mix and support of many new artists, too. App for streaming is on iTunes)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim. I'll download and try it out.

Regards from Perth

Derek