Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Bench chisels?

As Mike has mentioned, tang handles are generally easy to make and fit. The advantage of tanged chisels is that they have lighter blades, which improves feedback. I have also made many socket chisel handles, and do not hesitate to add a dab of epoxy. A little heat (from a hairdryer or heat gun) will soften and loosen this if you wish to replace the handle.

Japanese chisels (and Western chisels, such as the Veritas and Blue Spruce) use a combined tang and socket.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have an aversion to socket chisels. When I was young, I hit one and the handle decided to seat all the way down to the shoulder, catching a piece of my palm.

The results are in and I made my decision.

I want to thank everybody for their inputs. I have been functioning with a cheap set of 4 Craftsman chisels that are over 30 years old. I have been disappointed with the softness of the metal used in these chisels resulting in me spending more time sharpening them than I like or enjoy. Listening to all the comments here was an invaluable education from someone who isn't a Neander nor will he ever be a Neander but respects Neanders and their knowledge.

1. Initially I was going to buy a set but after listening to the arguments here, I elected to buy one chisel and see if I liked it before buying 2 or 3 more to go with it.

2. I live in a remote area and don't have access to a lot of woodworking stores or highly evolved hardware stores so trying "hand fits" isn't a really convenient option. In fact, earlier this past week, I had to travel to Spokane, WA to get an end of warrantee checkout on the HA I purchased 2 years ago so I went to Woodcraft to check out what they had in stock. The store was still recovering from their Christmas rush. The WoodRiver socket chisels were in stock but not in the sizes I was interested in replacing. They had some very cheap WoodRiver chisels and other brands including one Japanese brand but they didn't raise much interest to me.

I came home and spent the major part of yesterday researching metals, types of chisels, etc.

Most of the furniture I have built and plan on building uses a lot of mortise and tenons. I haven't purchased a shoulder plane yet and find myself cleaning up tenons with a low angle block plane and a chisel. After much research, last night I decided which brand and model chisels I was interested in buying but couldn't decide which size. I woke up this morning and my subconscious mind must have worked overtime over night. I just ordered a 1" Veritas PM-V11 bench chisel.

Thanks again for all the information! It was truly valuable!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-17-2019 at 3:52 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    The results are in and I made my decision.

I want to thank everybody for their inputs. I have been functioning with a cheap set of 4 Craftsman chisels that are over 30 years old. I have been disappointed with the softness of the metal used in these chisels resulting in me spending more time sharpening them than I like or enjoy. Listening to all the comments hear was an invaluable education from someone who isn't a Neander nor will he ever be a Neander but respects Neanders and their knowledge.

1. Initially I was going to buy a set but after listening to the arguments here, I elected to buy one chisel and see if I liked it before buying 2 or 3 more to go with it.

2. I live in a remote area and don't have access to a lot of woodworking stores or highly evolved hardware stores so trying "hand fits" isn't a really convenient option. In fact, earlier this past week, I had to travel to Spokane, WA to get an end of warrantee checkout on the HA I purchased 2 years ago so I went to Woodcraft to check out what they had in stock. The store was still recovering from their Christmas rush. The WoodRiver socket chisels were in stock but not in the sizes I was interested in replacing. They had some very cheap WoodRiver chisels and other brands including one Japanese brand but they didn't raise much interest to me.

I came home and spent the major part of yesterday researching metals, types of chisels, etc.

Most of the furniture I have built and plan on building uses a lot of mortise and tenons. I haven't purchased a shoulder plane yet and find myself cleaning up tenons with a low angle block plane and a chisel. After much research, last night I decided which brand and model chisels I was interested in buying but couldn't decide which size. I woke up this morning and my subconscious mind must have worked overtime over night. I just ordered a 1" Veritas PM-V11 bench chisel.

Thanks again for all the information! It was truly valuable!
    Good for you Ken. Please report back when you try it out. I've been thinking about ordering the same chisel (to replace my vintage Marples), since I seem to use that size a lot.

Jim

I love my PMV11 chisels. The handles feel good, they don't roll around, and the edges really last. They sharpen easier than A2 for me too.

I think you'll really like the LV PM-V11 chisel. They're good chisels. I'm the opposite of you, however. I use my smaller chisels (1/4" and 3/8") a lot more than a 1".

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I think you mean "Imperial makes no sense.....to me"

A very experienced friend of mine made his own O1 chisels and used them for a long time. He was very skeptical about the PM V11 chisels until he toured the factory and bought a set for himself. He says they’re the best chisels he has ever used.