Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bench chisels?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Maybe he was alluding to feet, as in measurement, in a twist on a phrase often heard from firearm advocates.

Probably not a bumper sticker one sees often outside the states.

jtk
    Uh, yeah, I got that

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Martin Winnipeg View Post
    Haha, that was my first thought as well!
    Ding, ding, ding

Us Brit’s have not a Whits Worth’s of Imperial humour metric’d out by Uropeans.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica de Boer View Post
    Imperial makes no sense so it's better to switch :P
    Good luck doing that in the US. If you want to cut the selection of available parts down to about 1/3 or less. Push-to-connect fittings as example all of the ones I have access to convert metric hose to imperial pipe thread. Same with metric conduit.

I have no issue with imperial, it's actually very easy to use. Anytime I want it to function like metric I just use decimal inches.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Good luck doing that in the US. If you want to cut the selection of available parts down to about 1/3 or less. Push-to-connect fittings as example all of the ones I have access to convert metric hose to imperial pipe thread. Same with metric conduit.

I have no issue with imperial, it's actually very easy to use. Anytime I want it to function like metric I just use decimal inches.
    i have to agree with Brian here. I think the fractions are what hangs people up. I do probably 90% of all calculations without a paper or pencil or a calculator. I would agree that if you don't have reason to do calculations often and for a reason other than school it could be tougher.
    Jim

6. I think this is the first time an Imperial vs Metric discussion has popped up!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Martin Winnipeg View Post
    I think this is the first time an Imperial vs Metric discussion has popped up!
    Really? Or did you forget to put on the sarcasm font? I don’t remember one but I would be surprised if it doesn’t come up. I was probably thinking of it because I saw a history video on YouTube recently on why America hasn’t. Really interesting. I can link it if I can and there is any interest.

To get back to Ken's question. I have many chisels, more than fifty. None of which are premium. They all work. I had a few bad ones. They are gone. I bought one of the new 750s a couple of years ago because I needed a 5/8. I liked how it felt in hand. It sharpened ok and seemed to last ok too. I liked the feel of it so much I bought a set. I than bought enough to fill out another few ti fill out a set along with 2 old 720s I had. I like chisels at 25* so I have one set at 25* and one set at 20*. I've been working that way for a year now. I like the feel and sharpening hasn't been troublesome. I bought two LNs a few years ago. A2 doesn't work for me at 25*, chips for me. Gave them to a friend. I hope he's still a friend. Tried a couple of medium price Japanese too. They work ok just don't like the feel.
    Jim

9. Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    Really? Or did you forget to put on the sarcasm font? I don’t remember one but I would be surprised if it doesn’t come up. I was probably thinking of it because I saw a history video on YouTube recently on why America hasn’t. Really interesting. I can link it if I can and there is any interest.
    Haha, I didn't think it needed it!

The real question is how to work with just a few chisels. In my shop I pick the chisel that is best suited for the job. Size can be important but also how the chisel is handled, what wood is used for the handle, is it long or short, firmer, beveled, pattern makers, sash mortise, pig sticker and so on. all have a job that they do better than other chisels. With the exception of the mortise chisels all could be considered bench chisels. Do you need all those different chisels, of course not but it sure makes life easier.

ken

ken

Hmmm...when Uncle Arthur (itis) makes things so I can't grip the handle on an Estwing hammer, tight enough to use....a large chisel handle tends to help with the grip....

Have several sets I use, and am very happy with. Some are older than I am. Others? Not so old. I grab the chisel that fits the job.

I'll leave it at that....
    Last edited by steven c newman; 02-12-2019 at 9:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    The real question is how to work with just a few chisels. In my shop I pick the chisel that is best suited for the job. Size can be important but also how the chisel is handled, what wood is used for the handle, is it long or short, firmer, beveled, pattern makers, sash mortise, pig sticker and so on. all have a job that they do better than other chisels. With the exception of the mortise chisels all could be considered bench chisels. Do you need all those different chisels, of course not but it sure makes life easier.

ken

ken
    How very true. I just keep some for sizes for the in between things like 11/16 or 15/16.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Hmmm...when Uncle Arthur (itis) makes things so I can't grip the handle on an Estwing hammer, tight enough to use....a large chisel hammer tends to help with the grip....

Have several sets I use, and am very happy with. Some are older than I am. Others? Not so old. I grab the chisel that fits the job.

I'll leave it at that....
    True Steven. The one that fits the job is the one that is needed.
    Jim

I'm starting to discover why, when looking at workshop photos, there seems to be a wall of chisels of varying sizes and types.
    Also, I'm learning that when doing a certain operation where a certain size and style of chisel would work the best..........buy it! If I need it once.......I'm sure to need it again!
    That's my amazing revelation for today! Well that and how well my Record spokeshave, that I bought years ago, works when properly fettled.

Jim

I have both Footprint and Pfeil sets. The Footprints are no longer made and they are of Sheffield steel from UK. The Footprints are my go-to chisels. The Pfeils made of Swedish steel, are more than adequate for dovetails and general work.