Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Bench chisels?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    Generally, buying used vintage chisels as they become available, I think, yields good results...
    I've never had good luck finding vintage user chisels in the wild. Nearly all of my used chisels came from eBay. In 30 years of casual looking at garage sales, flea markets, and antique stores, I have maybe seen only seen maybe a half dozen good chisels, and bought maybe 3. I'm not counting old plastic handled chisels though.

I always hear that vintage chisels are easily available for only a few dollars a piece. Where ever that is, it certainly isn't around here. It has even gotten to the point where some of the vintage stuff is priced higher than newer, better made chisels (like 750s stamped with "750").

I'm not sure what your budget is, but the best value for performance and quality in the western style chisels right now IMO are the Ashley Iles MKII bench chisels. They are O1, so they won't hold an edge like PMV11, but they sharpen faster and finer. I don't think LN or Veritas chisels fall into the 'affordable' category, they are definitely on the pricey end.

The Narex bench chisels are pretty good too once you get past the initial decarburization. I find the hooped handles very ugly, but to each their own.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    The only thing is that they are A2 steel
    No one actually knows with certainty what kind of steel Kirschen uses because they keep it a secret. My guess is it's an alloyed high carbon steel.

No, we keep imperial measurements around so we can continue to remind those snooty Europeans there are only two types of countries in the world: Those who have landed a man on the moon and those who use metric....

(the joke worked better before google let everybody know about Liberia and Myanmar).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ranck View Post
    Huh, I always thought we haven't switched so we could show solidarity to our good friends on Liberia and Myanmar.

I can't recommend LN A2 socket chisels enough. By far my favorite chisels even compared to the popular mentioned LV PMV11. I have a couple sizes of the LV's but always reach for the LN's. I also have nice Japanese chisels and once again just reach for the LN's. Just pick up a couple sizes at a time and before you know it you'll have a complete set.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    I can't recommend LN A2 socket chisels enough. By far my favorite chisels even compared to the popular mentioned LV PMV11. I have a couple sizes of the LV's but always reach for the LN's. I also have nice Japanese chisels and once again just reach for the LN's. Just pick up a couple sizes at a time and before you know it you'll have a complete set.
    Are the handles falling off as big an issue as it is sometimes reported to be?

The handles may fall out if your shop drops down to a lower than normal humidity. A short spray job with some cheap old time hairspray (think 1960's girl bands) on the handles, then jam them in place to dry there will solve the problem.
    David