Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New G0766 with storage drawers

New G0766 with storage drawers

I built these storage drawers to go under my new lathe. I also added 200 lbs of sand. Used recycled 2x6's for the sand box. Probably why I could only get 200 lbs in the box. Designed for easy disassembly. Drawers are approximately 15x17 and 17x17 with 3.5" of usable height in each. Drawers are made from the shipping Crate that the lathe came in. Draw fronts are recycled door jamb. Drawer frame structure is 3/4 ply dado construction.

IMG_1448.jpg

Nicely done!

3. Nice looking setup there Tom. I like to see innovative craftsmanship add to the functionality of our wood turning, and your storage unit underneath certainly opens up a great deal of wood turning organizational possibilities. Thanks for posting, and well done!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I did something very much like that, about a year ago. I built two cabinets of the same size, that sit side-by-side and fill the space under the bed, between the legs, and from front to back of the ballast box. 2 deep drawers on one side, for heavy stuff like chucks, face plates, tool rests, etc., and 3 shallower drawers on the right side, for smaller stuff, including 3" and 2" sandpaper disc storage in the lower 2 drawers. Very nice to have things at hand like that.

Great minds think alike, I guess.

Is the sand a vibration control, anti-walking method? Nicely done.

You did a nice job. I especially like how you aligned the G0766 badging exactly in the middle. The 200 # should help. Overall: very nice.

Gary, you have it right. Sand is an inexpensive way to add extra mass to help dampen vibrations...

Tom, nice drawers. I did something similar to mine last year. The shipping crate yields alot of usable nice plywood. I made two drawers and the rest for bulk storage.

I have since moved the drawers to the far left as I kept banging my head on the banjo. I also put a large hinged door on the bulk storage because as you can see it was filling up with shavings.
    "Everything will be alright in the end.... If it isn't alright, then it isn't the end!"

Scott, it was your photo that inspired me, especially the shavings . I like the way you slanted yours back. I should have done that but was too lazy. If it gets in my way, I'll just move it back flush with the front of the bed rail.

A fellow turner suggested that I put a little overhang to prevent shavings from collecting on the tops of the draws and then falling in when I open them. My wife donated a plastic cutting sheet from her quilting tools that I plan to install for that purpose. I'm also considering a tool caddy to lay on top of the cabinet for temporary tool staging. I'm going to try something with closed cell foam first and see how that turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Petersen View Post
    Is the sand a vibration control, anti-walking method? Nicely done.
    Yes, Gary. As you can see I'm on a wooden floor and that's less than ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    A fellow turner suggested that I put a little overhang to prevent shavings from collecting on the tops of the draws and then falling in when I open them.
    Perhaps you could make a shallow tray or three or find some shallow storage containers that would fit under the ways, positioned to catch shavings. Could easily be pulled out to empty.

I use a huge plastic tub from Walmart under my lathe to catch shavings.
    lathe_PM_tub.jpg
    (I don't need the ballast weight.)

JKJ

Glad I could inspire
    But the downside to the top of the cabinet is that it accumulates things and then shavings. The small bins sound like a great idea. That would make it easy to pull them out and dump them next to the floor sweep for my DC. Maybe get some heavy drawer pulls and build a shallow drawer that can be pulled out and vacuumed off.

It seems like there are only a few times when I lean into the lathe to make a cut, so not sure if slanting the cabinet was all that important. But I guess when I do need to get closer I can.
    "Everything will be alright in the end.... If it isn't alright, then it isn't the end!"

Well I used my wife's cutting mat. Cut it to size and screwed it to the top of the cabinet overhanging the drawers by about an inch. Nice thing is there is a ruler and 45 degree gauge right on the front of it. I'm sure that will come in handy a time or two. We'll see if it bugs my legs when I rub up against it. It is pretty soft plastic though.

Secondly, I made a tool caddy from closed cell foam. Used some pipe insulation I had and a sheet I kept from some packing a long time ago. Just glued it together. Nice and light weight. We'll see out it holds up. Cost me nothing anyhow.
    IMG_1449.jpgIMG_1450.jpgIMG_1451.jpgIMG_1452.jpg

I built a somewhat similar set of drawers and left enough space under the bed so that I could reach the nuts on the banjo, tailstock and headstock. But I also found that the space works well for holding frequently used tools. Some people have angled a board under the bed to help the chips and shavings slide downwards and from under the bed. I've got a nearby airhose, so I just shoot it to clean out the chips.

Yeah, Brice, I thought about taking the left over piece from the cutting mat and attach velcro to it and put the velcro mates up inside the bed wall. Then I could attach it at an angle and keep the chips off the top. But, like you, I have an air hose. And I like having the tools I'm using most right on top. That is why the tool caddy is light weight; almost like a cloth. When cleaning up, put the tools away and then just pick up the foam and blow or knock off the shavings.