Thread: problem with sliding TS

problem with sliding TS

Went to change the blade today on my Hammer K3 winner and discovered I couldn't. The table will not retract far enough to access the blade arbor.

Has anyone else had this problem? Hoping there might be a simple fix other than removing the wagon.

_rotate.jpg
    (Note: edited to rotate photo. JKJ)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 02-10-2019 at 9:41 PM.

Darn that picture! Sorry

Is there a stop on the wagon of some kind that might have gotten locked? Debris causing the same? (I'm not familiar with the Hammer specifically as I have another brand sliding saw)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim is correct, there is a locking mechanism. I just forget how it is done (don't own).

Hi, Tony,

I have had a K3 for nearly 20 years and can almost guarantee that what has happened is that the bearing cages that carry the movable part of the table across the fixed base of the table have gotten a little bunched up fore and aft and are limiting the ability of the movable part of the table to retract back (i.e. toward the front of the saw) sufficiently to access the arbor for blade changes. This is an absolutely normal and common situation I have found, and stems, I believe, from the fact that most of the time the saw table is being pushed forward and pulled back through only a small portion of its total possible range of travel. Over time the effect is to move the bearing cages so as to significantly limit how far back the table will retract (as in like four or five inches). Fortunately, the solution is simple: spend five minutes or so repeatedly pushing the table all the way forward as far as it can go and all the way back, hitting the stops each time. You will find (should find) this causes the bearing cages to realign back to their original position. (Years ago, I made a mark on the fixed part of my table to help keep an eye on this condition.)

If this doesn't work, I have a couple other ideas. But I bet this is the solution.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I did check the locking mechanism and it is not the problem. Also checked the trackway and it is clear.

David, I will give your suggestion a try and see what happens. The saw is about 10 years old and like you mentioned, the full length of travel is seldom used. Thanks and I'll let you all know what I find. Regards, Tony

The problem was exactly what David had described. After sliding the table to its full fore and aft limits for 5-10 minutes, it gradually began extending the length of travel to where it should be. I had never heard of this problem with a slider before. So nice to have an easy fix for the problem!

Thanks again to all who responded. Now on to making a desk for my grand daughter. Regards Tony

Yup, that happens...........Glad to see you're running again...........Rod.