Thread: Solution needed for cutting bevels on table top with proud breadboard ends

Solution needed for cutting bevels on table top with proud breadboard ends

Just about finished the hall table Ive been working on for what seems like forever. The top is two boards edge glued, mortise and tenon breadboard ends, pinned with shop made dowels. Its the traditional breadboard design - three large tenons, only the center is glued (barely) and the center pin is glued. Outside pins are in elongated holes and not glued. Being February in NJ, I cut the breadboards a heavy 1/8th longer than the top is wide - assuming come summer the top will expand. So now the breadboard ends are about 1/16th proud on each side. I had originally planned to cut a bevel underneath the top all around. Now Im trying to figure how I can cut an even 13 degree or so bevel around all 4 edges of the top with the breadboards being proud as they are. It would be unsafe to put the top on edge and run it over the TS because only the edges of the breadboards would contact the TS top. And of course the width of the new edge would be uneven. Anyway I can think to do it would make an uneven edge. The only option I can think of is cutting the ends flush, but then come summer the top will likely be wider than the edges are long, which is something I don't want. Better planning on my part would have helped. Whats done is done. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

-Dan

Sounds like at least partially handwork
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Use a plane to bevel most of the edge, finish the corners near the breadboard with a chisel or chisel plane that will let you get tight to the cross member? Substitute a trim router for the main planing step if you like.

Double face tape a shim on the long edge, then push it through your saw on edge. Personally, I try to err on the short breadboard side of things. People are more likely to slide their delicate flesh across a long breadboard than a wide panel.

Trim your bread board ends to size now and just do your bevel. You put up with mismatch either now or later. Too late to change your design I suppose? Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    Trim your bread board ends to size now and just do your bevel...
    ^^^^^ This. ^^^^^
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."