Thread: Slow workbench progress

Slow workbench progress

That goes slower than I hoped. During NY vacation (almost two weeks here) I've done enough planing to get exhausted and took 2 weeks break. Now starting to square bench legs again. Thankfully I've identified holding problem and was able to get more measured approach to planing with more frequent checks that yields a result faster.
    After NY I finished vise chop and vise leg preparation, with criss-cross installed.
    IMG_20190210_160931.jpg

IMG_20190106_172819.jpg IMG_20190106_143133.jpg IMG_20190106_190806.jpg

I also finally cambered one BD iron to 7" radius and now have rather quick way of removing wood. So now I have two planes with cambered irons: transitional Stanley for initial works, then BD jack. And finishing touches with jointer and straight blade.
    IMG_20190210_160853.jpg

Seems all legs will be of different size, hopefully that won't be noticeable. Don't want to remove excess material when it's not important.
    IMG_20190210_161027.jpg

Seems all legs will be of different size, hopefully that won't be noticeable. Don't want to remove excess material when it's not important.
    The beauty of hand work is that you tend to work around what is there, rather than what is supposed to be. No one will ever notice, and as long as it doesn't interfere with squareness or parallelism where it matters, you will quit noticing it as well. Keep at it. Looking good.

You might want to round over most of the edges. Looks good and is nicer to work around.