Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: MAN rated?

MAN rated?

What does this mean? Been doing this twenty years, never heard the term outside of here.

A little more context to your question would help.
    In the aerospace world Man Rated means a flight vehicle that is certified to safely transport people. Obviously the term comes from a different era.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Much lifting equipment is not rated for hoisting people even if labeled for "live load".
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    A little more context to your question would help.
    In the aerospace world Man Rated means a flight vehicle that is certified to safely transport people. Obviously the term comes from a different era.
    Cutters.
    Extra characters

Cutters that can be hand fed (not requiring power feed).

See for example: http://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US...pf-WPL-HW.html
    If you zoom in, you can see where it says "MAN"

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    What does this mean? Been doing this twenty years, never heard the term outside of here.
    Hi Martin, it's a designation used in many European countries for cutting tools that means it has met many safety requirements and criteria and is therefore suitable for manually operated machines which includes shapers and such with powerfeeders. There's lots to it, but the big thing is that it's "chip limiting" and can therefore only take a finite "bite" for every rotation. The bite is more than enough for normal milling operations, but if it's overfed it's less likely to kick back, and if it does kick back it's going to be less violent. Also, if you get your hand in there, it won't auto feed your hand giving you a chance to pull it out. Makes the difference between hamburger hand and some big bandaid.

I have tons of MAN rated tooling for heavy mill work, to cabinet work, passage and cabinet door making etc if you want to see some pics.

B
    Last edited by brent stanley; 02-06-2019 at 8:24 PM.
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

It’s a German tool safety standard used in the EU.
    Stark has a easy to understand explanation in their catalogue.
    53BEF16E-3F6B-47C6-B775-99538F30B38E.jpg
    C4C356B8-F432-4FC9-A294-889E823E5410.jpg

Here is is a MAN rated tenon head. Sleeve is opened up as I had the top disk out using it for a deep chamfer on a panel. Not how it normally looks.
    8DA8E928-C1E8-47E9-9F4D-A5EDB76B5660.jpg
    And here are some MEC rated tenon disks for a auto feed tenoner.Hard to tell the difference between MEC and MAN without measuring cutter projection. The black ones are 15 years old and a little earlier system of insert tooling.

4AC9C5CD-9A58-4210-89AB-E856FD3B7F14.jpg

Blog Entries
    The tooling equivalent of mitre vs miter...

I kind of figured it was meaningless, just a few people on here use the term every time shaper cutters are brought up.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I kind of figured it was meaningless, just a few people on here use the term every time shaper cutters are brought up.
    It's really just an EU tooling safety standard adopted by Germany, UK Belgium etc. It's pretty darn subtle for some tooling and correspondingly less significant you'd have to assume, but lots of stuff that used to be in service over there was pretty wild. Here are some examples of kit that is a little further on the other end! http://www.hse.gov.uk/woodworking/tooling.htm

I worked with a tooling engineer to have some custom shaper tooling made for me in the EU and when you mine your way down into it all, it'll make your head spin but it's all required now for a lot of shops in the EU. You can get MAN rated corrugated too!

This is pretty thorough: http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis37.pdf

B
    Last edited by brent stanley; 02-07-2019 at 8:06 AM.

Based on the terms "MAN" and "MEC" referenced in the attachement from Joe's posting, I'm going to wildly guess that they refer to MANually fed or MEChanically fed. Interesting that the Germans would use English words to designate the standard, but English is the linga franca of Europe.

Blog Entries
    haha, that square cutter head is intimidating.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    haha, that square cutter head is intimidating.

Slightly terrifying isn't it? However this beast (when the knives are ground properly!) is MAN rated and it's slightly intimidating when you first turn it on! Note that there are just blanks in there now and they're not in properly or ground.....I just put them in there when I first got it to snap a pic. The two heads above it are MAN rated panel raisers that friends bought in a big group order we did.

B

20181206_162106.jpg

Blog Entries
    You use that without power feed??

Makes no sense to me, but I am really not trying to figure it out, mostly because I don't care.

I still run square heads on a couple machines, because of the tooling I need was already with it.

I even have some triangle heads.
    Last edited by Darcy Warner; 02-07-2019 at 12:13 PM.