Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hammer A3-31 Digital Read Out ... Imperial or Metric

I have grown up with both Metric and Imperial. I see value in both systems. I find Metric easier to make calculations in, and Imperial easier to visualise, especially longer lengths.

My hand tools are all Imperial, since this is the system used when they were originally built or from whence they developed.

For my machines I chose to go with Metric, since this is the easier measure to use when working with small numbers and parts of numbers. I much prefer a digital calliper in Metric.

I would prefer a single system, but fortunately measurements are only a small part of marking out. Most marks are transferred, not measured.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I would use imperial on a table saw. It is just what I am used to and comfortable with for this measurement range. My drill bits, metal equipment, tapes, etc etc are all imperial/english system.

For a while I worked in an engineering firm that was design in metric, but all the machinist equipment was inches. So the first thing the machinist did was sit and convert all the measurements to inches. I lived both sides of that.

For thermodynamics SI rules.

For longer distances either works pretty well for me. 1 meter is approx 1 yard. I can convert km or km/hr to miles miles/hr in my head pretty easy and gives a feel for it. (driving in other countries you learn this)

Then below 1/8" down to thousanths is inches. (the machinist days)

Below that I prefer microns

And some of the molecular stuff I do now is nano meters (could not even begin to do that in inches)

Baking and cooking is still oz's for me, although some of the grams is starting to take hold but not naturally. It was how I learned growing up.

So it is a complete mish mash based on what I am comfortable with.

If I have to convert a lot back and forth 1) its more work and 2) I make errors