Thread: Red Oak

Red Oak

Pulled a little red oak out of the barn that has been air drying for a couple of years in order to make a shooting board and bench hook. Had to Plane a sample and throw some Linseed oil on it.

DA459B50-A30D-4D17-B47F-760A7657BEA5.jpg

I have a complicated relationship with Red Oak. I say don't particularly like it, but I use it all the time because it is cheap, stable, and readily available here in good quality and quantity, and it works well for many things. And I frequently recommend it for those reasons.

And yet I keep saying I don't particularly like it. It is my go to wood when I don't have a reason to use something better. Even though I just made a keyboard frame out of it this morning for the reasons listed before. Maybe because it has a certain high-school shop connotation when finished with clear polyurethane. I say I like White Oak better, but I actually prefer using Red Oak given the choice. Like I said, it's complicated

This is a little special since this is the first batch from trees on my property that I milled myself.

Quote Originally Posted by John Isgren View Post
    This is a little special since this is the first batch from trees on my property that I milled myself.
    Congrats John! That has to be especially satisfying using lumber you milled from you own property!!