Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: What has happened at Popular Woodworking magazine?

Well I've watched, read, and pondered a bunch reading this and other threads concerning the status of SMC, I'm a member today, I plan to be a member tomorrow there will be a difference, I'm pitching in a little today to keep enjoying the creek.

I will post in every forum when all of the final decisions have been made. I already know that this is a waste of time, the number of people who read announcement types of threads is very low. I get more attention and comments using existing threads, I don't like to jump on other people's threads but its necessary to get some feedback during the evaluation phase of any change.

We will probably send out a mass email to everyone one week before any major changes are made. We have only used this feature one time in 16 years but it works for the people whose email addresses are still accurate.

I expect the Friends of The Creek will get an overhaul and we will use forums rather then the current database system.
    The Groups feature will also be converted to individual forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    There is an old saying, "what goes around comes around."

To me there are things learnt from helping others learn. Another old saying, "when one teaches, two learn."

My original introduction to SMC was via a Google search on boiled linseed oil. There have been many here who have helped me in many ways. It is also my hope that some of the content of my posts has been of help to others.

For me there is a value in helping others and in chipping in to keep such a forum going.

Hopefully there is a way to keep it going and still allow people searching for answers a way to find them via Google.

In my imagination there should be a way to limit free access. Maybe tied in with a limit of how many non-paying people can be on at a time. If folks were trying to freeload by erasing their browser history they may also run up against a screen that tells them the site traffic is congested at the moment but if they want to merge into the fast lane they can pay the dues.

Is there a way to limit images to contributors?

jtk
    Jim, I have gained from your counsel many times in the past on this forum..Thank you...Thats the benefit of a forum like SMC i.e., the sharing of knowledge, experience and ideas..Certainly hope we can keep it going.
    Jerry

I am not going to pay to feel unwelcome. You have a lot to do with your resident experts to make this forum worth my time or money.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    I am not going to pay to feel unwelcome. You have a lot to do with your resident experts to make this forum worth my time or money.

Thomas

Ok..............

Subscription Cost vs Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Dean View Post
    Steve, I contributed yesterday. It was $6. That's lunch at Taco Bell. . .one time.
    You must eat at a different Taco Bell if you can get out for $6!

I agree that Sawmill Creek is worth far more than many subscriptions I pay for. Like someone said, it's losing the newbies that would hurt. Maybe the first year could be free.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Cannon View Post
    You must eat at a different Taco Bell if you can get out for $6!

I agree that Sawmill Creek is worth far more than many subscriptions I pay for. Like someone said, it's losing the newbies that would hurt. Maybe the first year could be free.
    If enough of the current members make a $6 contribution, maybe SMC won't have to go to a closed system.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    If enough of the current members make a $6 contribution, maybe SMC won't have to go to a closed system.

jtk
    I would agree, and the icing on the cake would be for all to give a bit more.

SMC is a friendly place with a nice cross section of capabilities. A few years back, there were some that were not so pleasant to be around. I drifted away and when those characters moved on, I returned. IMO, it is worth it to have a civil environment and if some see fit to move on, well, so be it.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

What is unknown at this stage is the commitment from Corporate Sponsorship to accept these proposed changes. As it currently stands that revenue stands at $26,400. Worst case scenario, if they all decided to pull the pin in the next 12 - 24 months, an additional 4,400 paying members would be needed to replace that loss in revenue. (based on minimum $6.00 annual fee)

[QUOTE=Tony Zaffuto;2912577]I would agree, and the icing on the cake would be for all to give a bit more.

Good thought Tony, I agree,,,
    Jerry

We have tried everything possible to convert Members to Contributors though the years. Its never going to happen on a scale that will pay the bills as long as we provide free services.

If hosting an online forum is not free how can it be provided for free?
    I have to sign contracts every few years with my bandwidth provider for a commercial connection that is quite expensive and pay monthly fees for IP addresses.
    I have to purchase software upgrades.
    I have to purchase new servers and other network hardware periodically.
    I have to pay a server administrator.
    I have to have business insurance, an office, a work computer, cell phone service, etc.
    We consume electricity for heating and air conditioning, mostly air conditioning since the network hardware requires cooling well into January. In fact I have two independent cooling systems, one is a backup.
    I spend several hours per day seven days per week working here plus a marketing effort during the week, however marketing is beginning to be a waste of time.
    A 6 dollar annual donation doesn't all end up in our pockets since PayPal gets their portion, then state and federal corporate taxes plus all of the costs listed above.
    While I was responding to this thread six new accounts had to be reviewed out of 124 today and I received ten emails and four private messages and we are discussing whether 50 cents per month is reasonable for monthly access.

FWIW none of this would be possible if not for our volunteer Moderators. SawMill Creek would resemble the "Wild West" and the majority here would be gone in a heartbeat.

13. Some of the news websites I read now use an 'ad removal pass'. Basically if it detects an ad blocker, it blocks access to the site. If the user buys the ad removal pass, they can see the content unrestricted but get charged a per page rate for views (which I assume is configurable, for the news sites where people read articles, its $0.01 per page, how that would work for a forum like this would need to be different).

14. Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I have to sign contracts every few years with my bandwidth provider for a commercial connection that is quite expensive and pay monthly fees for IP addresses.
    I have to purchase software upgrades.
    I have to purchase new servers and other network hardware periodically.
    I have to pay a server administrator.
    I have to have business insurance, an office, a work computer, cell phone service, etc.
    We consume electricity for heating and air conditioning, mostly air conditioning since the network hardware requires cooling well into January. In fact I have two independent cooling systems, one is a backup.
    You host this forum on your own gear out of an office somewhere? Good lord, I'm going to add you to my prayer chain this week. You don't have to do this anymore. Seriously, unless looking at the blinky lights is one of the joys of the business for you. Send me a message and I'm happy to share advice on addressing hosting costs...

Like John Kee, I wish you good luck, but I will bid you adieu...

You might at least consider Hilton's suggestions above, if you expect to ever attract a new member...

Cheers....life is short, I've better ways to spend my time, than browsing an internet forum that doesn't appreciate it's visitors and members in any measurable way.