Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What has happened at Popular Woodworking magazine?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pflumm View Post
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonysil.../#125d5684355d It says magazines will operate until sold, which makes sense as a dead magazine is probably worth next to nothing.
    When a vendor (whether it's a magazine, a gym, or a shop) heavily discounts its subscription prices in exchange for short-term cash, customers must be extra vigilant. Social media and digital platforms have helped push the demise of the print media (newspapers included). I suppose those who subscribed recently to PW could still cancel their orders.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 03-11-2019 at 8:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have not followed this whole thread, but I looked to see if this link was shared yet and didn’t see it. This is Chris Schwarz’s take on things:
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-13-2019 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Link to Blog Removed

Frustrating...Our world changes and rapidly...Its enough to turn a man to drink....
    Jerry

Even worse..St. Paddy's Day is on a Sunday, this year.....

The organizations you support survive, that's the golden rule and it applies to brick and mortar stores as well as online organizations and companies.

Some of you may not have seen my previous posts concerning SawMill Creek. The use of advertising blocking is the norm these days so it is taking its toll on our ability to remain online in our current configuration. We recently removed all free access to email and private messages as a warning about upcoming changes. To date it has had very little impact so we will be moving to a subscription based structure shortly. In about one week we will eliminate all Visitor access here. The timeline for converting to a paid subscription basis is within the next 90 days for those of you who are registered Members. FWIW Visitor access here has always been a huge part of our ability to attract advertisers. Visitors today have no value since they consume resources and provide absolutely no source of revenue.

We cannot sell advertising that you don't view. Since advertising has paid for free access here since 2005 and it has decreased to a fraction of what it used to be all free access will cease to exist. Just so you know this is a wide spread problem for Internet sites that provide services and information, its not limited to just SawMill Creek. When Photo-Bucket started charging for the services they have always provided for free it was a preview of things to come.

And, will spell the end of my "Build-along" threads I post here.....

I spend most of my efforts here trying to explain the craft to amateurs. It is hard to wrap my head around paying for the privilege. Often the moderators act like they just want a club for engineers and doctors, not so much woodworkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post

Some of you may not have seen my previous posts concerning SawMill Creek. The use of advertising blocking is the norm these days so it is taking its toll on our ability to remain online in our current configuration. We recently removed all free access to email and private messages as a warning about upcoming changes. To date it has had very little impact so we will be moving to a subscription based structure shortly. In about one week we will eliminate all Visitor access here. The timeline for converting to a paid subscription basis is within the next 90 days for those of you who are registered Members. FWIW Visitor access here has always been a huge part of our ability to attract advertisers. Visitors today have no value since they consume resources and provide absolutely no source of revenue.
    I am a bit surprised that you chose to make this important announcement as part of this thread which has nothing to do with membership changes. Many others may have missed the forthcoming changes. I did not even know about the change to the email/private messages until I read this, and checked my account.

Of course, I might have missed the same announcement if you had made it somewhere else in the forum.

Simon

The PM change is posted as an announcement at the top of every forum. Has been for weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    I am a bit surprised that you chose to make this important announcement as part of this thread which has nothing to do with membership changes. Many others may have missed the forthcoming changes. I did not even know about the change to the email/private messages until I read this, and checked my account.

Of course, I might have missed the same announcement if you had made it somewhere else in the forum.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    The organizations you support survive, that's the golden rule and it applies to brick and mortar stores as well as online organizations and companies.

We cannot sell advertising that you don't view. Since advertising has paid for free access here since 2005 and it has decreased to a fraction of what it used to be all free access will cease to exist. Just so you know this is a wide spread problem for Internet sites that provide services and information, its not limited to just SawMill Creek. When Photo-Bucket started charging for the services they have always provided for free it was a preview of things to come.
    Well, that's a shame. I was hoping the change to subscription-based usage was a year or so off.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    The PM change is posted as an announcement at the top of every forum. Has been for weeks.
    Thanks. But nothing about this more important message:

In about one week we will eliminate all Visitor access here. The timeline for converting to a paid subscription basis is within the next 90 days for those of you who are registered Members

Simon

Keith has mentioned the financial problems and the likely change to a subscription base more then once in recent months.

I guess I just don’t know why somebody who does not bother to read announcements would complain that some upcoming changes have not been announced.

Oh that's sad. I think we've just lived through the golden age.

I got volunteered by my rockhound wife to install a couple of doors in the basement of 100 year old community hall they had rented for workshop. I got my Stanley #95 butt gauge out and found a Stanley#702 vise at the fleamarket . I thought to get an evening's worth of reading by googleing them. I got a few ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    Keith has mentioned the financial problems and the likely change to a subscription base more then once in recent months.

I guess I just don’t know why somebody who does not bother to read announcements would complain that some upcoming changes have not been announced.
    Complaint?

I was trying to make Keith aware of the possibility that his important 90-day message could be missed by others who don't check out the Popular Woodworking thread. As it turned out, I was right, because that message indeed isn't in the Announcement.

Simon

I'm always surprised when I see how upset some folks get when they discover that they aren't going to get a "free lunch" anymore. Such a sense of entitlement!